Did anyone see this? Another hack job at Mecum goes for $51,500!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
https://www.mecum.com/lots/1108019/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-fastback/?aa_id=539244-0
Proof that a pretty paint job will sell any car. I bet the car was horrible in person. Look at the oil gauge with the missing pointer and the corrosion on the radio bezel. And it is an H code with no A/C or fold down. And the front bumper is a painted chrome bumper, not a rubber bumper. And it looks like it was not an original Grabber Blue car but just repainted that color!

Last edited:
Yep, watched it bell to bell when it was on MT and followed online when it wasn't on TV. I was really focused on the 1965-66 cars. It was interesting to see many cars that should have banked fall short and others, like that '71 bring allot more money than it should. One of many... the Pony market has lost it's collective mind in the last 3-4 years.

I bid on the blue 1965 K Code Coupe, it hammered for $49.5K w/ fees.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/1098741/1965-ford-mustang/

I was there and the sad thing is what the owner thought it would bring. These are Boss numbers!

1706014874222.jpeg

It has the right color to catch a buyers eye. Lets be honest though, most folks aren't deep into many details as the folks in this forum. They will probably drive it for a little while and move it along to the next owner. One thing that does stand out to me is the presentation of the car. The trunk photo either had a ton of buffing compound still on it or dust/sand from the show field. If I was the seller, that would drive me out of my mind.
1706023336825.png

Definitely overpriced - not worth what it got IMO. It still looks a salvable restoration, just needs more attention to the little things (a lot of them) to clean it up. - not sure I'd call it a "hack job". Just reinforces for me that one should not go to those auctions if they intend to buy a car at a fair price.

Definitely overpriced - not worth what it got IMO. It still looks a salvable restoration, just needs more attention to the little things (a lot of them) to clean it up. - not sure I'd call it a "hack job". Just reinforces for me that one should not go to those auctions if they intend to buy a car at a fair price.
I think the high dollar auctions are skewing the market for everybody. It used to be that 100point restorations set the high dollar values. It seems there is too much stupid money out there and a lot of 'me too' desire resulting in values higher than they ought to be for cars that aren't all that special.
And then your neighbors rust bucket behind the barn is suddenly a $10k car.

I'll bet someone was disappointed and mad as hell, when they looked at it sober. WAAAYYYY too much money for that car. Chuck
EDIT: At least he will be clean after he takes a bath when he sells it.

I'll bet someone was disappointed and mad as hell, when they looked at it sober. WAAAYYYY too much money for that car. Chuck
EDIT: At least he will be clean after he takes a bath when he sells it.
or they have so much money that they don't care as long as they can brag about buying one million dollars in cars over the weekend.

Any chance that 26,XXX miles on the odometer is legit or did it definitely roll over? I will say really low mileage unrestored originals (not the car in this thread) are bringing a ton of money. Saw a number of Mopar and GM items with super low miles on the tv broadcast. There was also a black '71 429 CJ Mach 1 which I thought went for a reasonable price. I looked it up in the Kissimmee results and only found a black numbers-matching 429 which went for $68,200, which was not the one I recall seeing.

Any chance that 26,XXX miles on the odometer is legit or did it definitely roll over?
Judging from the interior finish, it rolled over at least once. No way does that much wear happen in 26,000 unless it’s a Mopar.

Any chance that 26,XXX miles on the odometer is legit or did it definitely roll over? I will say really low mileage unrestored originals (not the car in this thread) are bringing a ton of money. Saw a number of Mopar and GM items with super low miles on the tv broadcast. There was also a black '71 429 CJ Mach 1 which I thought went for a reasonable price. I looked it up in the Kissimmee results and only found a black numbers-matching 429 which went for $68,200, which was not the one I recall seeing.
Unlikely even 126,000 miles. Besides what difference does it make if originality isn't anywhere in sight. Low miles should always match condition. Doesn't this mean there are two people who aren't savy buyers here, but the lower bidder is luckier this time.

Yeah over priced I guess, but good for the rest of us when we sell….its not a horrible car…I do see interior and weatherstripping issues, as well as possible rust covered over, on the front drivers pillar below the hinges, it’s pretty rough…that dash center stack is a mess.

Yeah, I thought I might have been a little extreme after calling it a hack job. It still is probably way nicer then that Grabber Green "429" car we've been talking about. Like many pointed out, it looks like it needs a lot of "little things." I still can't get over the dash presentation because the paint job looks so nice. What's so weird is that parts like the radio bezel are relatively cheap to buy new and you look at them every minute you are in the car. Heck, he went all out on those expensive wheels and tires. Why not spend $100 on a radio bezel? All I can say is my hat is off to the seller. That price has got to be one for the record books.

My 71 interior is way nicer than that, and I have a custom 2-tone paint job, and AC, and new wiring, and mines a convertible, much rarer, it’s also got the fuel sipping 302, a much greener car! Can I have 100k please? I will set my reserve @$101k!!

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2403.jpeg
    IMG_2403.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2422.jpeg
    IMG_2422.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2418.jpeg
    IMG_2418.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2445.jpeg
    IMG_2445.jpeg
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2432.jpeg
    IMG_2432.jpeg
Inflation is driving the prices up. Consider what it costs for body and paint, especially if major repairs are needed. The cost of rebuilding mechanical aspects and interior, it’s easy to have $50,000 or more in a car.
I am not saying the car in question is or isn’t worth it, I just think it’s time to rethink the value of our mustangs. We all have cars that range in rarity and quality from low to high, so ask yourself, what would it cost to replace your car as it is in today’s money?

Back