distributor gear problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycoses

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach-1 351C
rebuilt my 351C to 393 stroker with a crane hydraulic roller and installed a Mallory dist with a 'steel' dist gear. 10,000 miles later the dist gear dissolved and took the cam gear with it. so just because you buy a 'steel' gear for a steel roller cam do not assume it is compatible. Crane recommends their hardened 'steel' gear for their roller cams and that is what I will install next. many sources rec'd a bronze gear for roller cams. because the bronze gear will always be softer than the roller cam and will not damage the cam. bronze gear has to be periodically replaced because of wear but nobody I talk to knows how often to replace them. so with a bronze gear you have to periodically pull the dist to check the gear. I talked to one engine builder about the bronze filings through the motor as the gear wears but he has never seen that to be a problem with periodic replacement. now I have to find the difference between a Windsor dist gear and Cleveland so I can I.D. if the dist manufacturer puts on the wrong gear.

Yes, you have to be careful about what cams you use Mallory steel gears on, just supposed to be used on austempered ductile iron roller cams. I believe Comp cams are one that is compatible.

Cleveland and windsore gears do not swap because the dist shafts are different sizes. Crane makes a hardened gear for their roller cams specifically for the cleveland. I am guessing not all hardened steels gears are equal. I recently bought a synthetic gear for roller cams. I haven't installed yet because the Crane gear is still fine after 6k miles.

The factory roller cam Windsor engines have the same diameter shaft as the Clevelands, where the older flat cam Windsor engines had a smaller diameter. However, the outside diameter of all Windsor distributor gears is smaller than Clevelands.

The distributor gear specs for Ford small block, 335, and big block engines are on page 3 of the attached installation guide.

FordInstShtM-dist gear-12390-A.pdf

Attachments

• FordInstShtM-dist gear-12390-A.pdf
    160.1 KB
Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard they are pricey but synthetic is the way to go. They are universal with all types of cams.

The factory roller cam Windsor engines have the same diameter shaft as the Clevelands, where the older flat cam Windsor engines had a smaller diameter.  However, the outside diameter of all Windsor distributor gears is smaller than Clevelands.

The distributor gear specs for Ford small block, 335, and big block engines are on page 3 of the attached installation guide.
Don C,

Was not the article (thread) I was looking for, but the one you refer to is much better !

Thank You.

in the ford instruction sheet it lists the clearance from bottom of the gear to block.

that would in essence be a double check for both installed length ( 4.031''-4.038'')

and end play 0.024''- 0.035''.

one Must remember that when checking the distance from the bottom of the gear to the block pad

that the camshaft has to be removed !

going to go back and study the thread and instructions.

The article I was referring to was form hot rod to the rescue, a 351 c is eating distributor gears.

although it was for flat tappet camshaft, it did drive home what can happen when using a high volume oil pump and overkill valve springs.

That is where I realized that not should one chect installed length and endplay, but clearance to the block with camshaft removed.

Also remember that different distributor manufacturers measure length differently than fomoco.

Boilermaster

OOPS,

This was supposed to be posted to my own thread, distributor bushings.

sorry

none the less it still fits.

Boilermaster

rebuilt my 351C to 393 stroker with a crane hydraulic roller and installed a Mallory dist with a 'steel' dist gear. 10,000 miles later the dist gear dissolved and took the cam gear with it. so just because you buy a 'steel' gear for a steel roller cam do not assume it is compatible. Crane recommends their hardened 'steel' gear for their roller cams and that is what I will install next. many sources rec'd a bronze gear for roller cams. because the bronze gear will always be softer than the roller cam and will not damage the cam. bronze gear has to be periodically replaced because of wear but nobody I talk to knows how often to replace them. so with a bronze gear you  have to periodically pull the dist to check the gear. I talked to one engine builder about the bronze filings through the motor as the gear wears but he has never seen that to be a problem with periodic replacement. now I have to find the difference between a Windsor dist gear and Cleveland so I can I.D. if the dist manufacturer puts on the wrong gear.
  The Cleveland drive gear is 1.418" dia. As is the 429 and the Windsor 302 or 351 is 1.245" dia.

Beware though, a friend bought an aftermarket HEI type dizzy for his Cleveland off E-Pay and even though the box had Cleveland clearly marked, the gear was the smaller 1.245" dia. It nearly wrecked his engine as he was not aware of the difference and just put it in, them wondered why it wouldn't run right. Why he wanted to put a cheap junk Chinese HEI in is beyond me. They look wrong and ugly IMO.

Geoff.

The factory roller cam Windsor engines have the same diameter shaft as the Clevelands, where the older flat cam Windsor engines had a smaller diameter.  However, the outside diameter of all Windsor distributor gears is smaller than Clevelands.

jegs has a comp cams large dia. gear w/short shaft. a lunati w/long shaft and small dia. gear. both say they are for 351c.?????

rebuilt my 351C to 393 stroker with a crane hydraulic roller and installed a Mallory dist with a 'steel' dist gear. 10,000 miles later the dist gear dissolved and took the cam gear with it. so just because you buy a 'steel' gear for a steel roller cam do not assume it is compatible. Crane recommends their hardened 'steel' gear for their roller cams and that is what I will install next. many sources rec'd a bronze gear for roller cams. because the bronze gear will always be softer than the roller cam and will not damage the cam. bronze gear has to be periodically replaced because of wear but nobody I talk to knows how often to replace them. so with a bronze gear you  have to periodically pull the dist to check the gear. I talked to one engine builder about the bronze filings through the motor as the gear wears but he has never seen that to be a problem with periodic replacement. now I have to find the difference between a Windsor dist gear and Cleveland so I can I.D. if the dist manufacturer puts on the wrong gear.
the material and finish process on the crane melonized gear is compatible with all camshafts, but as mentioned, the gear must be the correct size to match the cam gear.

not all bronze gears are created equal. the ones that chris straub sells are the best of them and some others sell the same ones, however, the potential for any dist gear to prematurely wear or fail can be reduced in many ford engines if a .020" hole is drilled in the left front lifter galley plug.

Related problem; Recently bought two new "performance" distributors that would not even engage the cam gear and seat in the block. After talking with the sellers we all discovered the gears were all oversized in diameter and varied in diameter .006-.014. I also discovered the gears were not pressed on, they just slid on and were pinned. I called MSD to confirm their gears were pressed on, they are. So I need up buying another MSD distributor, it went in as it should. I continue to look for an acceptable alternative to MSD but, nothing so far. For what it is worth, I have found a better ignition amplifier from Daytona Sensors, it is worth a look.   Chuck

Beware of the distance between the gear and flange. It should be correct to allow the gear to slightly bottom against the block to have the right engagement. Not easy to measure with the engine assembled. The best idea will be to check the total up-down play of the shaft before and after installing the distributor. If it is bottoming the play should be reduced, but should not be zero. I have read that even the MSDs can have the wrong distance. There is a Ford Motorsports bulletin that goes through this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back