Door latch problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
The left side door latch doesn't work without tweaking the striker grab fingers before attempting to close the door. I discovered that if you lift up on the door, it will close perfect! So the question is, should I adjust the latch to compensate for door sag or will replacing the hinge pins and/or bushings cure the problem? I think the latch itself is fine!

When the door is closed, does it line up? If so striker is alined.

When the door is open, can you move it up and down from the back end?

Probably pins and bushings

Don

Yes, the door can be lifted from the rear...maybe a 1/4" of movement (or more!) I think the pins are bad!

I think you need some new pins.Did you straighten that bumper out yet ?
Haha, you're not gonna be happy until I do! I haven't...I have to get under there and loosen the bumper bracket arm bolts and see if I can get any play out of it. The passenger's side looks good so hopefully it's just the left side that needs tweaked.

I spent Saturday pulling wheels, polishing them, checking the brakes and then installing them with new stainless lug nuts. Yesterday was shot due to 2 shows we took the car to! This week...I promise! LOL!

Yes, the door can be lifted from the rear...maybe a 1/4" of movement (or more!) I think the pins are bad!
I have EXACTLY the same problem, Barry. And when I put the front end up, I couldn't close the door no matter what I tried - I had to lower the front end to get the driver's door closed.

Please let me know what you do and how it works out.

Thanks and good luck!

Doc

I have EXACTLY the same problem, Barry. And when I put the front end up, I couldn't close the door no matter what I tried - I had to lower the front end to get the driver's door closed.

Please let me know what you do and how it works out.

Thanks and good luck!

Doc
ah that is not a good sign in a convertible.

well rebuilding a door hinge is pretty easy, the hard part is removing the door and dealing with all the bolt heads that will snap off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear that! The door project is on hold until after a few more shows. I do have to fix that bumper alignment before Nance kicks my butt! LOL

Third Gen Camaros suffer from these same issues all the time--demn long doors. By the time the pins and bushings are toast so is the hole in the hinge itself--usually wollowed out--easy fix has always been welding a new piece of plate on top of the old hole with the correct size hole drilled into it-then installing the bushing in that. I'm not one for cheesing out on repairs but I've never had anyone spot the "fix"---really have to be in there looking for it.

I found out that my hinges have been drilled and fitted with 3/8" bolts! Needless to say, I am replacing all four hinges. Farming this one out...it's going to a local body shop that specializes in panel alignments. Going to get that pesky trunk aligned also!

And straighten that bumper!Am I going to have to drive up north and do It my self ? ..............lol
Oh, I forgot to tell you that I did! Loosened the 2 bolts up on the long bumper arm and lifted. I took a little persuasion but I measured both sides up and tightened it down. Looks pretty good now!

Back