Door Panel, Seat Foam, Seat Covers - Recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
I'm interested in recommendations and feedback on door panels and seat covers/replacement foam.  I've done some searches and seems that most agree TMI is a little better fitment on door panels with Mustang Market coming in 2nd and DashesDirect not getting so much love.  I'm leaning towards the MM, but would like to see feedback from folks that have experiene with them.

As for seat covers and foam, I really haven't come to a consensus.  TMI and MM are the front runners here and unless there's some compelling reason to do otherwise, I'll probably go with the same seller for both door panels and seats.  What is the group's experience with covers and foam?   Also, can anyone comment on having the Listing Wires molded into the foam?  I saw that option on....I think it was CJ Pony....and I believe that was TMI stuff.

I know this has been covered a lot and I have done some searches....just want to check in and see what ya'll think.  Thanks in advance. BT.

I have the TMI covers and foam. I have the sports foam which has more side support. I love my seats. I sit a little taller than before but the old foam was probably collapsed. These seats look sporty but follow the same design as factory. I have not tried MM or others so I can't directly compare.

I have the TMI covers and foam. I have the sports foam which has more side support. I love my seats. I sit a little taller than before but the old foam was probably collapsed. These seats look sporty but follow the same design as factory. I have not tried MM or others so I can't directly compare.
When you did your seats, did you replace the burlap and side padding?  I'm seeing these kits on NPD's site.  What is your experience with listing wires?  The Mustang Market foam doesn't have the wires and TMI offers with and without them.

What is your experience with door panels and molded carpet?

Thanks,
BT

When you did your seats, did you replace the burlap and side padding?  I'm seeing these kits on NPD's site.  What is your experience with listing wires?  The Mustang Market foam doesn't have the wires and TMI offers with and without them.

What is your experience with door panels and molded carpet?

Thanks,
BT
Their seats came with all the foam for padding including bottom, back and sides. I used the listing wires from the old seats - if I remember correctly. Back then I don't remember seeing an option without the listing wires. I am still using my old factory door panels so I can't comment on TMI's. As for carpet, I installed the cut pile mass back that CJP sells, which is ACC. I think fitment was great and still looks great after 5 years.

I used the original seats, but I did not use burlap at all. My burlap was pretty much all gone and I went ahead without any.

Edit: just added pictures

With factory padding and covers:

20170529_224012.jpg

With TMI foam and covers:

20170626_233833.jpg

20170626_233314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay away from the Dash Direct door panels.  They do not fit well at all and take a lot of work to get them to look half way decent.  

I used TMI seat foam and cover.   What TMI is calling molded in listing wires is a wire frame molded in the seat foam that the listing wire in the seat cover gets hog ring to.  I did not use any burlap.  Also, make sure you check your bottom and back seat frames for cracks. See pic below.  

I also have the cut pile mass back carpet from CJ Pony.   Only have had it for about a year now but it looks like the day I put it in.

Frame Crack.jpg

I'm interested in recommendations and feedback on door panels and seat covers/replacement foam.  I've done some searches and seems that most agree TMI is a little better fitment on door panels with Mustang Market coming in 2nd and DashesDirect not getting so much love.  I'm leaning towards the MM, but would like to see feedback from folks that have experiene with them.

As for seat covers and foam, I really haven't come to a consensus.  TMI and MM are the front runners here and unless there's some compelling reason to do otherwise, I'll probably go with the same seller for both door panels and seats.  What is the group's experience with covers and foam?   Also, can anyone comment on having the Listing Wires molded into the foam?  I saw that option on....I think it was CJ Pony....and I believe that was TMI stuff.

I know this has been covered a lot and I have done some searches....just want to check in and see what ya'll think.  Thanks in advance. BT.
Tmi all the way. They are spendy but they fit and the color is correct. I special ordered Mustang market door panels. Only because they made them in Vermillion color.   They fit well but the color is way off for vermillion. Actual picture posted of MM and o.e panel.  The color picture they showed v/s what I got was totally different. They wouldnt refund because they said it was a special order.

Before M.M I tried Dashs direct.........those were way wrong with fitment. As Kilgon mentioned.

mustang market door panel dont match.jpg

@machattack Did you keep the MM panels and if so is/was the quality reasonable?  I am getting black, so not so concerned about the color match (famous last words?).  MM has them available in short order, and cost is less than 1/2.

@machattack Did you keep the MM panels and if so is/was the quality reasonable?  I am getting black, so not so concerned about the color match (famous last words?).  MM has them available in short order, and cost is less than 1/2.
I did keep the MM panels. I will lightly dye them to match the rest of the interior. I was strongly against dyeing due to the frequent touching and rubbing in that area. I simply have no choice. 

Have any of you replaced the rear set foam?  My rear seat is intact other than a tear in a seam near the hump.  It's been in AZ the last 23 years, so I'm concerned the innards will be toast.  TMI sells a foam kit for around $200.  I can't tell if this is just flat sheet that's been cut  to a pattern or if there is something special?  If it's just flat sheet, I'm pretty sure I can get that locally for less.  

Please comment on the rear seat foam if you have experience....need to decide if I should buy the kit or make one up myself.

image.png

Have any of you replaced the rear set foam?  My rear seat is intact other than a tear in a seam near the hump.  It's been in AZ the last 23 years, so I'm concerned the innards will be toast.  TMI sells a foam kit for around $200.  I can't tell if this is just flat sheet that's been cut  to a pattern or if there is something special?  If it's just flat sheet, I'm pretty sure I can get that locally for less.  

Please comment on the rear seat foam if you have experience....need to decide if I should buy the kit or make one up myself.

View attachment 56329
Following; similar need.  I'm in Palm Springs so our climate is similar and I was wondering if it was the heat or the lack of humidity, but any one of my seats in my convertible gives off a puff of orange-ish dust if you smack it with your hand (which I think is just nearly 50-year old foam giving up the ghost)

I had my front and rear seat foam changed when I did my seats last year. I picked up a kit from Mustangs Unlimited before they closed down. The pieces were memory foam and fit and feel great. 

Tom
Any idea who made them?  Sounds like the way to go...too bad MU shut down.  I guess I won't be too disappointed if the memory foam's not available....very hard for me to reach the brake pedal from back there anyway.

My seat covers were just split but the foam was still in them.  I bought rear from a company I had used many times (no naming).  After 8 months and many phone calls (no one answers unless you selected you wanted to cancel an order) and I finally had to dispute the payment with my credit card company to get my money back.  Bought TMI from NPD and were delivered in 5 days.  Matches the back and I just fit them right over the old.  TMI is the way to go in my opinion.

I used the TMI sport seat 2 covers and foam bout 5 years and a lot of miles ago. I would likely use them again, the seats look great and are comfy. In my opinion, the added height is an issue as I'm a bit on the larger side (this is only an issue with the top up). The foam could also be a bit firmer on the side and seat bolsters. They installed very nicely... a good forearm workout. I was able to install them in a weekend. I did the rear seat later and used the original foam as the only "people" to ride back there is our dog and maybe a cooler. 

In my '73 Mach-1, The interior had been replaced by the second owner, and I never saw the original.
Their interior was nice, but now it needed an upgrade, so I opted for the TMI interior in ginger (the original interior color). The color of the TMI seats is perfect. I like them much more than the ones that I replaced. The TMIs are a slightly "mottled" in color, like the original door panels. I ordered them from CJ Pony, (on sale) https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-premium-upholstery-mach-1-interior-1971-1973/p/U79-V/ They came in about a week!
I did not however, replace my foam. I knew it'd be a bit flattened, so I got some 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch sheet foam and added some padding here and there to the seating surface where needed (Spray 90 held it in place like iron).
Since I live in Arizona, I opted not to add the original seat badges. That metal can get really hot in our 120 degree summers, and I didn't want to get "branded" when I sit in my car.

Attachments

• New Interior.jpg
    New Interior.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 0
Back