Door Speaker Size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a door speaker in the garage, the cutout hole on the door measures approx

4 1/4" by 8 1/4" . But that is not the speaker size. It is an odd size so you may need to test fit some aftermarket ones,

Was think of putting in 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 rounds and was wondering if this could be done without any cutting.

Anyone done this?
I would stay with the 4x6 oval shape and get the best brand with a large magnet but not too big as it may interfere with the window rolled down.

i have the 4x6 with the plastic filler/mounting plate from custom auto sound. they were the base model for $35 bucks. they sound only slightly better than they blown originals i took out. i might try these http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/358 for $120 bucks i hope they sound a lot better. CJ Pony Parts is a sponsor of these guys and their video, i guess they sell them. I wonder if they have tested them? Funny they are listed for 67-71 mustangs...wont fit my 72? ha ha ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, stick with what everyone is saying...The stereo place tried putting larger one in my '72 Mach but with the window crank it, would hit it with anything larger. I can send you a pic of mine if you need an example.

Good Luck

They were originally 4 x 8 speakers and are a weird size taht is VERY hard to get. When I needed one discovered it was going to cost about $50 for one that was not a very good speaker. The Mustang places sell a 4 x 6 speaker with a bigger mounting bracket on it so it will fill the hole.

If you want bigger, maybe you can get a Kick pannel speaker.

Back