Dowels In 351C 4V Heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
In preparing for my build, I came across a thread mentioning DOWELS in 351C 4V heads to align with the intake manifold.

Does anyone have a photo or diagram as to where these dowels are located, how long they are, solid or hollow?

I understand aftermarket intakes require these be removed, but I am using a Ford aluminum over the counter manifold.

Thanks.

That explains a lot. When I bought my car someone had installed an Edelbrock Performer.

My decision was to use the original intake and it is heavy. There was no way to line it up

so we just got lucky and hit the bolt holes the first time without buggering the gasket.

Some dowels would have been useful.

My shop manual mentions to "align the notches under the dowels".

Good question!

mike

IMG_17071.jpg

What I do is put all thread (local hardware store) in the 4 small bolt holes. Slide the instake over it and then start with the larger bolts. Remove the all thread. You can't do this with the larger bolts since they are at an angel

The dowels are for the turkey pan if I recall correctly. I still have them in my heads and have an Edelbrock intake, so I don't think they have to be removed.

Back