Drill press run out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Has anyone here measured your drill press run out? If so, what number did you measure? I need to drill some very small (.025-.090) holes in brass set screws. So the run out really matters. Mine is currently measuring .0035". All responses are appreciated. Chuck

Has anyone here measured your drill press run out? If so, what number did you measure? I need to drill some very small (.025-.090) holes in brass set screws. So the run out really matters. Mine is currently measuring .0035". All responses are appreciated. Chuck
A drill press will never be that accurate. Even a good mill might struggle. You might do better in a good small lathe with collets. Dial the part in before you start to drill.

I did measure my cheap WEN drill press. It surprised me, ringing in around 0.005".

For your required tolerances, I would use my lathe or mill. Mine are advertised to be 0.0001" or better. Basically, better than any of my measurement equipment.

Interesting question, just went out to the garage and measured my two drill presses runout using a dial gauge and magnetic base mount. Chucked up a known straight, 1/8" diameter, 2" long bar and hand turned both chucks.
Results:
12" mini press used for carb jets=.003"
Large Floor press 1/2" chuck".010"

Making jets? Drill one and check it. I don’t think you will be oversize. Might be fussing over nothing and the set screw costs less than a dollar.

You might be surprised what a quality chuck will do for reducing runout. Figure out what taper your spindle is and get a ball bearing Jacob’s, Rohm or Albrecht.

Thanks to everyone who replied and Cleveland for taking the time to measure his run out. It sounds like I have it as good as it is going to get, I still have a few things to try. I will look into getting a better "chuck". Chuck

Back