Dumb Question but need help with choke tubes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi guys,

I have bought two sets of new choke tubes but both the sets tube diameter is larger than the hole they should insert into. How do these go into the piece that bolts onto the manifold? Do I have to drill out or?

2igf0b8.jpg

2ynrrqu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't have to drill anything. If they don't fit the tubes are wrong. They don't look right anyways. The should have a stop expand to stop the tube from going to far inside. At least the ones on my car do. I dont know if I'm using the right terminology or not.

Those are the correct tubes. There are probably remnants of the old rusted off tubes left in the unit. If you look closely at the picture of the new tubes, you'll notice they neck down at the end where they insert into the heat riser. My 351C-2V has that exact same setup and I had to use a drill bit to clean mine out to get the new tubes to fit. I also used the stainless tubes so they wouldn't rust out any longer.

Those are the correct tubes. There are probably remnants of the old rusted off tubes left in the unit. If you look closely at the picture of the new tubes, you'll notice they neck down at the end where they insert into the heat riser. My 351C-2V has that exact same setup and I had to use a drill bit to clean mine out to get the new tubes to fit. I also used the stainless tubes so they wouldn't rust out any longer.
True I hadn't thought of that. Tube remnants could still be inside the holes.

Thanks guys,

Turns out I did have remnants of the old tube in hole so will need to drill out to remove.

Another question now...When I hold up the longer new tube that has a piece of vacuum hose on it I can't figure out where it connects?

Thanks

23mvss7.jpg

You can drill out while attached to manifold, just go slow. Use a bit set in 1/64 increments. Afterward use low pressure compressed air with a rag over the end to catch any bits blown out. There is a slight vacuum in the choke chamber pulling thru the tubes to heat the thermostatic spring to open the choke. The open end of the tube uses a rubber hose to attach it to a hose on the air horn base of the carburetor if I recall.

Here's a pic of a truck connection.

choke1.jpg
Here's the entire write up.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/806018-choke-questions-answered.html

RacerX...thanks very much for info.

Here is a pic of my carb and I don't see the air horn where this connects. This is the OEM carb for my car and it looks like only possible spot to connect is at the center back top of carb that has the plug on it? Any ideas or others with a 4V car that can confirm? Thank you.

25atgqu.jpg

Basically the open end of the tube connects to atmosphere inside the air filter area. There might be a port on the bottom of your air cleaner housing to connect to.

I have a 4 barrel q code car but it's apart right now.

Back