E brake help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Ok I have a new front cable and two new rear cables. The problem I have is the Cable that connects the front cable to the rears is broken. Does anyone sell this new or is it a used only item?

Ok I have a new front cable and two new rear cables. The problem I have is the Cable that connects the front cable to the rears is broken. Does anyone sell this new or is it a used only item?
Tn..Looking at the service manual..the right rear cable should loop around the equalizer then to the left rear & connect to it with a cable connector..So if you have equal length rears the right side is the wrong part..Npd shows the right as being 133 1/8" long I'm sure Don must have it if not npd does...Thats your problemdancebanana On the other hand is the rear disc setup a conversion or just upgraded stock? If it's a conversion, get on the blower with who ever you bought it from..they should have what you need for the setup they sold you

Last edited by a moderator:
Tn..Looking at the service manual..the right rear cable should loop around the equalizer then to the left rear & connect to it with a cable connector..So if you have equal length rears the right side is the wrong part..Npd shows the right as being 133 1/8" long I'm sure Don must have it if not npd does...Thats your problemdancebanana On the other hand is the rear disc setup a conversion or just upgraded stock? If it's a conversion, get on the blower with who ever you bought it from..they should have what you need for the setup they sold you
The rear cables are not the issue, it the one in between the front one and the the rears.

The rear cables are not the issue, it the one in between the front one and the the rears.
::huh::: the way the diagram shows there is no "middle cable " to hook the front to the rear..Thats why the right rear is 133" long..You have the cable from the e brake pedal to the floor under the car ( the equalizer attaches to this) Then the right rear runs up to that..hooks around the equalizer..then runs to the left. Do you have a 133" cable coming off the right rear ? Unless I'm missing something ?

brake.jpg

::huh::: the way the diagram shows there is no "middle cable " to hook the front to the rear..Thats why the right rear is 133" long..You have the cable from the e brake pedal to the floor under the car ( the equalizer attaches to this) Then the right rear runs up to that..hooks around the equalizer..then runs to the left. Do you have a 133" cable coming off the right rear ? Unless I'm missing something ?
Q, MAybe Im confused, not sure but no i do not have a cable that is 133". The cable were screwed up from the start of me getting the car. But the new disc brakes came with rear cables but nothing that long. I cant really see your picture. Is it for a 71?

Q, MAybe Im confused, not sure but no i do not have a cable that is 133". The cable were screwed up from the start of me getting the car. But the new disc brakes came with rear cables but nothing that long. I cant really see your picture. Is it for a 71?
Roy..If you double click on the picture..it will open in a new window..then click again & it will enlarge..yes it's for 71....I have a feeling that because of the rear disk conver your going to need this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CUR-CE-6020E/

I don't think rear disc was an option on our cars from the factory

I went & looked at the place you got your rear set up from( you had posted the link) They have 2 set ups for our cars..1 with the pbr calipers (ala cobra) or 1 with the gm rear calipers) I see the rear cables they sell & or provide with their kits..So yes you gonna need a middle cable..I would give them a jingle I could'nt find the middle cable on their site..if you have the pbr calipers I would think you should be able to use any of the cobra e-brake kits.

Roy he is correct.

3 cables

front

short rear

long rear loops to front cable and back to short rear

Don

Q, I see what you are saying. I could see the pic its just so light its hard for me to make out.

Thanks Don, for the simple breakdown.

Guess I need to call the supplier and see what there fix is.

Thanks Guys.[/u]

Ok here the latest, called Right stuff and finally got them to understand the situation with the cables. WAs advised this kit is universal for the 9" rear and not for the mustang. Not what I was told but thats another issue. discussed how to fix it and take some measurements and so forth. They are also gonna ship a couple of weld on tabs the kit was missing then maybe I can get a good measurement for a cable. We will see.

Ok here the latest, called Right stuff and finally got them to understand the situation with the cables. WAs advised this kit is universal for the 9" rear and not for the mustang. Not what I was told but thats another issue. discussed how to fix it and take some measurements and so forth. They are also gonna ship a couple of weld on tabs the kit was missing then maybe I can get a good measurement for a cable. We will see.
Tn...I looked at the wrong web site...Guess you got the wrong stuff from right stuff or not all the stuff you needed rofl It's never easy !

& their web site bites ! I tried 4 times to search for the rear ford 9" kits comes up with nothing but gm stuff

Latest posts

Back