efi pump mount location

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilPuppetMaster

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Q - code
Hi guys

I bought used fitech EFI 600 hp system with inline fuel pump.

can someone tell me what is the common mount location for fuel pump and pre-filter on 71-73?

manual states that pump and pre-filter must be placed as low as the lowest point of the tank and within 2 feet away from it.

Bottom of my fuel tank is way below any frame mounting points so I have no idea where to mount it

any suggestions?

thanks

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I did with my Holley inline pump.  It'll be feeding an Edelbrock E-Street high-pressure pump/reservoir ahead of the EFI itself.  Right now, it's doing a phenomenal job keeping the 600cfm Performer carb happy.

I mounted it up inside the rear wheel well - there's space between the inner wheel house and actual rear frame rail (unless you're tubbed, that is).

attachment.php

Also made a rock shield for it out of someone's left over under-shroud.  I found it after someone changed their oil at the Auto Hobby Shop and threw it away.

attachment.php

I'm also using the standard fuel sending unit/pick-up inside the tank.

Hope this helps.

I already have electric low pressure pump hooked up at the rear frame rail however it is above the bottom of the fuel tank

I might have to fabricate something to suspended new efi pump below frame rail so it is closer to the bottom of the tank

Thanks for ideas

Alex

I was thinking a good place to mount the Fuel Commander is where the blue emissions can went. You wont need it with EFI, so Its a nice spot for that.

I was thinking a good place to mount the Fuel Commander is where the blue emissions can went. You won't need it with EFI, so Its a nice spot for that.

Thats exactly where i placed my sump pump. I have Robbmc's one. I used the vent hose as a return hose. You can see my thread for all the details. I dont have a link right now.Things to keep in mind:

-You may want to drill the vent port at the top of the fuel tank to allow for free flow of fuel if using it as a return line. I adapted an old sending unit to replace the vent port. These sump pumps return little fuel through the return line compared to a standard fuel pump. On that thought you have to allow venting of the tank. In my case is through the filler cap.

-I insulated the bottom of the fuel pump tank to protect it from the heat of my headers. I did this even though my headers are ceramic coated.

-Use a pre filter and post filter.

-I added a fuse between the EFI unit and the pump.

My question was regarding inline fuel pump not efi command center....

Good info btw. I might have to go that route if I cant find good location for inline fuel pump

Back