Electrical Harness Firewall Grommet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
Hi Guys -

In process of installing a new wiring harness into my 71 and I found that my old firewall grommet (where the harness passes through the firewall) is not in the best shape. Does anyone know if someone makes a good quality replacement?

Marc

Hi Guys -

In process of installing a new wiring harness into my 71 and I found that my old firewall grommet (where the harness passes through the firewall) is not in the best shape. Does anyone know if someone makes a good quality replacement?

Marc
Marc, did you check NPD or CJ Pony or Virginia Mustangs?
Also sent you a text re PS pump.

Hi Guys -

Marc
You might contact midlife harness restoration and see if he has any

I know of no aftermarket grommets that are sold as grommets that are designed for that application. Furthermore, if you want the grommet intact, you'll have to cut each and every wire, thread it through and then splice it back up. Your alternative is to take a used grommet and split it, wrap it around the wires and then install it.

I know of no aftermarket grommets that are sold as grommets that are designed for that application. Furthermore, if you want the grommet intact, you'll have to cut each and every wire, thread it through and then splice it back up. Your alternative is to take a used grommet and split it, wrap it around the wires and then install it.
Good info.

Marc, did you check NPD or CJ Pony or Virginia Mustangs?
Also sent you a text re PS pump.
Hi Geoff...Yeah I did. They do not carry this piece...I have been looking all over the country and no one makes a replacement that I have been able to find and equally as bad no one carries an equivalent. I'm likely into custom territory if I can't find a new one.

Good info.
Thanks for the feedback Midlife - a couple questions for you:

1) Do you have any good used grommets for sale?
2) Is there another way to remove a grommet from an existing harness without destroying it (or other wiring)?

I do have a grommet on my old harness, and it looks like it is in pretty good shape, however, I didn't think it would be this difficult to find a new replacement so I wan't considering using it (until now). Appreciate any insight...

I used this for my EFI wiring going through the firewall

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sit-sgs351250
You know...surprisingly, seems like summit has the best selection of random grommets for applications like this. I have been looking pretty extensively, but it's hard to tell a lot of times how well some of these options would work. How does this split seal grommet work for your application? Did you have to open up the hole more, or make any mods? How did you seal against it (I'm assuming it was not a "perfect fit" like what the original grommets are)? Heavy material or cheap? Lots of questions - I appreciate the feedback!

The only way to use an existing grommet on another harness is to cut the wire on one side and pull it through the grommet. You'll have to do this with every wire. Some wires may catch on the molding, but I believe the wires were wrapped in tape prior to the grommet being molded.

I've never sold a grommet, but I have many that I can prepare for what you desire. My guess is that it will take at least a half hour to empty a grommet, so consider the cost of my time plus shipping.

You know...surprisingly, seems like summit has the best selection of random grommets for applications like this. I have been looking pretty extensively, but it's hard to tell a lot of times how well some of these options would work. How does this split seal grommet work for your application? Did you have to open up the hole more, or make any mods? How did you seal against it (I'm assuming it was not a "perfect fit" like what the original grommets are)? Heavy material or cheap? Lots of questions - I appreciate the feedback!
Like I mentioned I used it for my EFI wiring. I used an electrical punch set to open the vacuum port up so the connectors would fit then used the sealsit to cover it up.

Here is the punch set I used:
AMZCNC Hydraulic Knockout Punch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096TFHN4Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In one casr I ended up taking a length of vacuum hose and slitting it for the legth I needed to use to cover the metal edgess of the ssirewall. That worked really well. If you have enough room consider using fuel line as it is a lot togher than vacuum hose, but vacuum hose was all I had and it was definitely better than nothing.

The other year I searched on "firewall grommet" in Amazon, and came up with some nice kits with various size3d grommets. I have not yet had to use any from my kit, but I did take them out to look at them. Decent quality, I bet you find one of those kits to be off value...

Back