Engine build advice for 5.0L

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
I have a 5.0L block & GT-40 heads (not the P heads). I'm starting my rebuild plan and would like input from the engine gurus. The engine is for my 65 with a manual trans (either a top loader or a T5) and has a 3.50 trac-lok 9" rear. I have a 4100 carb that worked well on the 351w that was in there before. The car will be for cruising and street duty only.

I'm thinking Performer intake with 4100 carb. Long tube headers with Spintech mufflers. 9.0ish compression ratio.

What cam would you recommend?

What am I missing?

Should I go the same basic setup but a 351W like I had before?

I have a 5.0L block & GT-40 heads (not the P heads). I'm starting my rebuild plan and would like input from the engine gurus. The engine is for my 65 with a manual trans (either a top loader or a T5) and has a 3.50 trac-lok 9" rear. I have a 4100 carb that worked well on the 351w that was in there before. The car will be for cruising and street duty only.

I'm thinking Performer intake with 4100 carb. Long tube headers with Spintech mufflers. 9.0ish compression ratio.

What cam would you recommend?

What am I missing?

Should I go the same basic setup but a 351W like I had before?
Don, Give Comp cams a call. They will step you through the process and if they dont have an "off the shelf" cam they will custom grind you one for about the same money. I ran the E303 cam in my 91 with 351w heads, but cams and technology has came a long ways since then.

Back