Engine oil dip stick and tube

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have a 72 Sportsroof with a 71 302 installed. It appears that the engine was changed because the car may have gone airborne at one time in it's life and trashed the other engine landing.

This engine has a different oil pan, timing chain cover and water pump. By different I mean replaced.

The dip stick has always been a bear to reinsert in the tube,binding up about an inch or so from full stowed. It feels like it is hitting something then just goes in after some persuasion. I looked at where the tube goes into the cover and it is about 1/4 inch from seated. The oil always reads 1 quart low when full, and I am aware of that. There also seems to be some evidence of someone hitting the tube on the bead where it should seat when fully in the cover.

I have not really tried to investigate this too much, but now have the radiator out for repair and this area is accessable now.

The stick and tube are aftermarket (chrome) which makes me think it is not the right stick/tube combo for this engine.

What is the length of the correct stick and tube for a 71 302, and how big of a job is it to replace? The tube seems really snug in the cover and I have not tried any force to loosen it. Thanks...........

The dipstick and tube were changed starting in 1970 for several 302 applications. The tube for your 302 should be approximately

12 1/4" long. There is a 50/50 chance of any markings actually being on the tube (Ford Part # D2OZ-6754-A, ID# D2OE-6754-AA). Some of the ole timers at a salvage yard or someone like Don at Ohio Mustang Supply who knows parts could ID one right away. The dip stick is Ford part # DOAZ-6750-C and ID # DOAE-6750-C. These two pieces were used on the 70/ full size Fords, Fairlane/Torino, Mustang, Mavericks, and the sister Mercury cars . Exceptions would be the Bronco, Mustang II, Fox platform based cars, and the 79/ Panther chassis (Crown Vic-Grand Marquis).

The tubes were normally pressed in and formed a snug fit without leaking. I have seen some people beat them in like they were trying to drive a nail through concrete. I've seen some of the shop Techs remove "Difficult" ones by using vice grips and twisting while pulling upwards. Good luck with your project!

The dipstick and tube were changed starting in 1970 for several 302 applications. The tube for your 302 should be approximately

12 1/4" long. There is a 50/50 chance of any markings actually being on the tube (Ford Part # D2OZ-6754-A, ID# D2OE-6754-AA). Some of the ole timers at a salvage yard or someone like Don at Ohio Mustang Supply who knows parts could ID one right away. The dip stick is Ford part # DOAZ-6750-C and ID # DOAE-6750-C. These two pieces were used on the 70/ full size Fords, Fairlane/Torino, Mustang, Mavericks, and the sister Mercury cars . Exceptions would be the Bronco, Mustang II, Fox platform based cars, and the 79/ Panther chassis (Crown Vic-Grand Marquis).

The tubes were normally pressed in and formed a snug fit without leaking. I have seen some people beat them in like they were trying to drive a nail through concrete. I've seen some of the shop Techs remove "Difficult" ones by using vice grips and twisting while pulling upwards. Good luck with your project!
Thanks for the reply. Since most everything is off the front of the engine, I now removed the alternator for access to the tube and stick.

It all came out pretty easily. The tube is 12 1/4, but the stick is 20 5/8.

Also found that the binding of the stick was due to the end that goes into the cover being slightly bent, and the stick binds there. Looks like I will add a tube and stick to my wish list. Just want to be sure of the correct stick length. Since the oil pan is new(?), chrome by the PO, how can I tell if I have a 5 quart pan?

Latest posts

Back