Exhaust noise

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins56

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Fastback now with 503 CID 4 bolt block with AFR Bullit heads , Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake and ProSystems carburettor 1050.
4 sp Toploader with 9" Wavetrac rear.
Caltracs and shocks at the rear.
Hi,

I have a tuned 429  ( now 501 CID) giving ca 600 hp ? and has dual 3" exhaust ( traditional setup with Magnaflow 11259 straight through mufflers) with  Hooker headers  with 1.75" pipes.I do not have any H or X pipe.

There is no particular peak in sound levels but there is just too much of it and I would like to reduce it.

I am thinking of having an extra glasspack bullet type resonator.... I could fit a Dynamax 24219 in front of the MF mufflers or alternatively smaller 12619 resonators after the back axle where there is not much space. The extra  dampers  should not be more than  4"  thick. I might even think of the H / X  pipe after the  collectors...

Any ideas where to start with ?

Hi,

I have a tuned 429  ( now 501 CID) giving ca 600 hp ? and has dual 3" exhaust ( traditional setup with Magnaflow 11259 straight through mufflers) with  Hooker headers  with 1.75" pipes.I do not have any H or X pipe.

There is no particular peak in sound levels but there is just too much of it and I would like to reduce it.

I am thinking of having an extra glasspack bullet type resonator.... I could fit a Dynamax 24219 in front of the MF mufflers or alternatively smaller 12619 resonators after the back axle where there is not much space. The extra  dampers  should not be more than  4"  thick. I might even think of the H / X  pipe after the  collectors...

Any ideas where to start with ?
Not sure what "noise" you are trying to eliminate, but a 3 inch diameter dual exhaust on a big block is going to have a thunderous drone no matter what in my opinion.  The long run of that pipe from the exhaust manifold/header end to the muffler has to be resonating like a bass drum.  Just my thought.  I would think that silencer listed here would need to be at the header exit to help you any at all.

kcmash

Hi there !

I went to the carchemistry web site - never knew this  company before....

It looks like they have some thought behind the  products  as well...

What kind of  carchmistry product(s) you are running ?

What is your experience and if you compare to  the standard / the one you had before ?

Thanks

I have the 2" version, with the blank cap, (shown in the link) installed right after the headers. Before I installed them, I installed an H-Pipe, resonators, stock dual mufflers. These all helped a little, but the CarChemistry inserts made the real difference.

Not only is the overall noise level down, but the drone is gone.

Someone else here has installed them and I know Luxstang is patiently waiting for his to arrive. And I am really waiting for word on his results.

Here is a link to my original thread if you have some free time  ;)

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-eliminating-exhaust-drone-to-quiet-exhaust

Last edited by a moderator:
well, well,well.....

sounds good and if installed in the collector the rest of the system remains the same.

Furthermore even the cost is not that bad ca. 75 USD to try - so it seems I am going to buy a pair - and with three caps to maximize the dB drop...

I hope the installation instructions is simple and clear as it involves drilling hole(s) in the collector. Did you have any issue during the installation to warn about ?

in your old thread it was really interesting to read that getting to smaller diam. pipes actually cured the sound/ drone problem in some cases.

The headers I have are Hookers Competition long headers with 3.5" collectors

Back