Extra Wires on Negative Terminal?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
The negative (ground) wire on my '73 has two other (smaller) wires coming off of the connector that are just hanging there with butt-splices on each end.

Anybody have any info on this? Is the negative terminal only supposed to be the ONE ground wire? The wiring diagram only shows one wire there.

Thanks,

Joe

I believe that it is just supposed to be the one ground wire. Someone might have added something and used the battery as a ground instead of a chassis or engine ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 73 has one wire coming off of the neg battery terminal.....It's supposed to be a ground but not sure where the mounting point is.
It also sounds like something done by the previous owner. The ground goes from the negative post, picks up a chassis ground at the regulator via a clip attached to the cable, continues to engine grounding point on the passenger side at the lower front of the block. Chuck

My neg cable had a singe lead with butt connector. Doesn't it go to the fender apron? I am actually using it for the MSD box but was considering adding another to the apron.

Back