Factory opera window?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
http://www.cebudanderson.com/oldcrowcar.htm

Imagen2a.jpg

I may beg to differ with his opinion as to the looks of the window, but the explanation seems plausible:

On a side note, this car not only might be the only one painted this way; it is also one of the very few with this original/factory made small window in the back sides (even a Mustang guy will admit that this is the first one he has ever seen). The story goes that back in mid 1973 Ford Mexico knew that the 74 Mustang had a new smaller line and they wanted to get rid of the few remaining 73 Mach 1s. Thus they put this strange window and call it a "mid 73 special edition". Therefore the window was just a "marketing gimmick" to push late sales. I do not know if the strategy worked, but I am glad they did it 'cause it looks great.
It does have the distinguishing hallmarks of the Mexi Mustangs (Windsor block, '71 flip down cap, '71/2 rear bumper spacing, '73 rear lights), so I'm not that inclined to doubt this explanation straight off.

Not sure if the "Mach 1" trunk badge is an addon or something original to Mexican production. Either way, it looks good.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya...was hoping for some pics of the interior on the site so i could see if it had any of the mexican stuff left...See if that part pans out..I never heard of it...But Mexico did make some funky stangs...possible..Not much info on mustangs from mexico online "yet"..people can say all sorts of stuff about mexican mustangs and hard to say...Yay or Nay..lol....they mite have alot more information on it.

It looks diffrent...not what i would do to one....I like the original mexican sprint stripes.

I'd like to see what the sail panels around those windows look like...

Yes there are many ways to "humiliate" a 71/73 mustang, and that's really one of them.

I saw a fastback in Washington state on Craigslist this summer that had approximately 7" oval window the seller claimed his grandmother bought this way....Interesting peek hole. I'll have to see if I can find if I kept a picture.

1973 Mustang Sportsroof Landau windows Chilliwack.jpg

Could those be the same ones that the first GT350 Shelbys had? They sure look like them as far as the proportions are concerned. They could look good if only they weren't way too small for that car.

I love the aircraft graphics very much though.

I saw a fastback in Washington state on Craigslist this summer that had approximately 7" oval window the seller claimed his grandmother bought this way....Interesting peek hole. I'll have to see if I can find if I kept a picture.
Dealer modification.

Interesting thing about the Mexi '73 is that they were supposedly factory. Then again, to re-read the paragraph, it may be a dealer modification too.

-Kurt

Dealer modification.

Interesting thing about the Mexi '73 is that they were supposedly factory. Then again, to re-read the paragraph, it may be a dealer modification too.

-Kurt
over the past few years I have seen 3-4 on e-bay with the dealer installed opera windows, and there is one in the RI/Mass area with them, its the original owner, he was at a car show about 2 years ago, and he said it was a Dealer add on, its the same window that the Lincolns had, it was on a 72 Fastback (non mach 1) the guy was originally from the mid west, I never thought twice about getting more info from him about the windows or what state he was from.

over the past few years I have seen 3-4 on e-bay with the dealer installed opera windows, and there is one in the RI/Mass area with them, its the original owner, he was at a car show about 2 years ago, and he said it was a Dealer add on, its the same window that the Lincolns had, it was on a 72 Fastback (non mach 1) the guy was originally from the mid west, I never thought twice about getting more info from him about the windows or what state he was from.
Neither the chrome trim nor the opera window itself is Lincoln-sourced. The Mark IV (the first '70s Lincoln to come with the window; introduced in '72)'s window had the Continental Star logo laminated between the glass, while the trim itself isn't countersunk (though not as deep, it would sit in the fashion of the Mexican window, raised above the sheet metal - and vinyl).

Though it's possible to use the Lincoln trim, it'd be obvious - ditto for the window. Have yet to see one as described.

Likely sourced on the aftermarket.

-Kurt

Dealer installed i would say on opera style ones we see pop up here in America....Like full vinyl tops..But is rare in its own right..Some dealer installed options are worth alot...Like that mustang shelby i seen with the 1,000 dollar option dealer installed 427 side oiler for shelby's...Only like 5 or so got them....bad thing is..Alot of dealers have past on or went out of biz..And was just tring to sell car after car..Im sure they did not worry about the collecting point of it later on..lol..And if it was not documented well...Information could be lost...unless some one who happend to work at one pops up with some true facts on them.

Dealer installed options are never well documented at all, here in Rhode Island, you find 77-79 Cougar XR7's with Lincoln hood ornament, Lincoln trunk key hole cover, and front fender side louvers, it was the "Tasca Edition", the only people who can tell you about it are the old sales men that worked for Tasca in the late 70's, or any of Bob Tasca's kids, it was never well documented and they sold over 1000 of them over the 3 years in the Rhode Island / Southern Mass area.

Dealer installed options are never well documented at all, here in Rhode Island, you find 77-79 Cougar XR7's with Lincoln hood ornament, Lincoln trunk key hole cover, and front fender side louvers, it was the "Tasca Edition", the only people who can tell you about it are the old sales men that worked for Tasca in the late 70's, or any of Bob Tasca's kids, it was never well documented and they sold over 1000 of them over the 3 years in the Rhode Island / Southern Mass area.
Yup..He is the one that offered the 427 dealer option.

This is me by one of the Tasca dealer installed 427's...Local mustang restore guy...Known him for years...He gives me a hand at tracking down parts sometimes...always some rare 429 SCJ in his shop or something close..lol

cobra427.jpg

cobra4271.jpg

cobra4273.jpg

This car was listed in Northern Washington state and IIRC they were asking 8995 and it was located in O'Canada. I just thought it was an interesting look since I never have seen anything like it before.

Back