Factory sunroof on a 71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct Steven, it's not a factory sunroof. It was a dealer initiated. The dealer obviously ordered the car and had it shipped to a specialty shop in MI for the sunroof before it arrived on the dealer's lot. Apparently that's what the customer wanted and the dealer said "ok" in order to get the sale.

Cool stuff guys! I've heard about the ASC McLaren Mustang and wondered what the "ASC" stood for, but was never that important for me to google. Well, I researched this sun roof topic and found that the same company (American Sun Roof) is now called American Specialty Cars or better known as "ASC" Ah haaa! ASC ;) These are the guys who made the ASC McLaren Mustang and Capri. Now I know, thanks! :D IMHO I like the sunroof and think this is a very special car with great history and documents to boot.

That is one helluva 71! Very nice!

I like the documentation

Build sheet is from a coupe code 65A

VIN is 119385 yet the car is 167528

Look at the radio, early 71 Mustang script radio.

What I can't believe is that the AM/FM radio cost $214 - like isn't that about $800 in today's money??
Actually according to the CPI inflation calculator, $214 = $1198 now, wow. No wonder mine came with an AM radio!!

AM/FM stereo, that was "state of the art" back then.

19" color TVs without a remote were very expensive too, like equivelent to the price of a large 3d home theater now.

The price of technology has gone WAY WAY down over the last 40 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the price of state of the art technology is still rather expensive but when the latest and greatest becomes outdated that price drops really fast. Look at the really cool touchscreen navigation radios...$1800 at Crutchfield. Top end laptops go for $2500+ it's funny to think of AM/FM used to be the equivalent of the optional nav radios in our cars today.

Truly complete.. Photos were perfectly taken! though it's not a factory choice but it seem like it was carried out really cool!

Correct Steven, it's not a factory sunroof. It was a dealer initiated. The dealer obviously ordered the car and had it shipped to a specialty shop in MI for the sunroof before it arrived on the dealer's lot. Apparently that's what the customer wanted and the dealer said "ok" in order to get the sale.
Don, The specialty shop is the one they they used to do all Cougars (1969-1973) with sun roofs. It was probably an exec car and he wanted a sun roof so they sent it to ASC as they would for a "production" car. It is "factory installed" as much as any sun roof of that period is. It is perhaps unique because it wasn't a RPO for Mustang. Same thing with Boss 429 cars done by Kar Kraft. Chuck

Thats pretty cool and interesting.

Next we will see one with t-tops haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back