Farthest you've travelled in your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people make the misguided assumption that the factory designs, assembles and delivers a car in the most efficient, effective and durable state of tune that is mechanically possible. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The reality is that the manufacturers are severely hampered by many emissions, noise, and economy-related regulations that in many instances are contradictory to each other in the overall functionality of the vehicle. The engineers often have to come up with heroic and extraordinary engineering just to be able to get the thing legal to be sold.

Ulitimate driveability and performance are often severely compromised in the pursuit of meeting all the various regulations.

As the owner of the vehicle, there is no regulation stating that you must keep your car in a 100% OEM state of tune.

There are many individual items about the engine that can be altered or fine-tuned towards a very specific set of goals. Performance, longevity and economy can all be increased with a careful and coordinated series of adjustments, alterations and parts replacement.

The engines in our cars ( and all engines of the 70s) were dramatic underachievers in reaching even a reasonably decent level of performance and economy due to the stifling demands made by the government to meet the then-new strict emissions regulations.

There is a tremendous amount of untapped potential in our engines, and it is relatively cheap and easy to "unlock" a goodly portion of that potential by anyone with fair mechanical ability.

The real beauty is that most of the mods are actually quite beneficial to the engine in terms of longevity also.

Last edited:
I always thought they made the cars to be as effiecnt fuel wise as possible as the government is always wanting them to have high MPG goals. There is only so much energy in a gallon of gas and if the vechile is big and heavy it takes more to move it around so when they lighten the cars they get better MPG but they are not as safe. I have seen pics of a smart car thathit a Harley the Harley rider was scuffed up a bit and walked away the smart car driver went to hospital.

I know I took the smog pump off my newer r(1975) car when i got it sicne it was frozen and the belt removed- so it was extra weight not doing anything and I found someone willing to pay me $50 for it since he wanted one on his car for car judging! Did not care that ti did not work!

What all suggestions would you have- with these cheap adn easy mods. Last year before I moved the tiing back and I was getting 25 MPG on the highway I had a lot of friends who did not believe I had that kind of fuel economy- would like to get it back withour melting battery cables.

Back