Favorite Chili recipe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine.

1.5 lb Chuck roast

32 oz beef stock

4 Tbsp Chili Powder

1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

1 Tbsp Onion Powder

1 Tbsp Oregano

1 Tsp black pepper

1 packet of Sazon Goya,Con Azafran(You can find this in most supermarkets)

1 Tsp Cumin

1 medium onion,diced

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 can Rotel Tomatoes (Diced tomatoes with green chiles).

Method....

In a heavy soup pot or dutch oven...

Cut the Chuck roast into quarter inch cubes (this is important).

Cook until grey, not brown...Drain the meat and discard the grease and liquid. Set meat aside.

Cook diced onions with corn oil until soft.

Add beef stock.

Add Sazon packet.

Add tomato sauce.

Add Rotel.

Cook until boiling.

Taste for salt....Add salt while simmering until it's right.

At this point the mix should be orange.

All Tbsp & Tsp should be heaping.

Add meat.

Add all dry ingredients EXCEPT Cumin.

You might need to add water if it's too thick.

Simmer for an hour,covered,stirring every 10 minutes and taste it for salt.

Add cumin and simmer for 15 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let it set for a little bit.

I usually make mine during the annual Armed Forces Chili Cook-Off in late September - I usually place Top-5 and almost always Top-3 People's Choice... which is perfect, because you can actually taste my chili, as opposed to determine how good it was by how much more of your innards got burned-away and spice-scalded. rofl

I always have to make a bunch for judging, sampling for People's Choice, etc., and usually make around 5-6 gallons. This recipe is for right up to 2 gallons... increase quantities by factor of 1 for each additional gallon as you go. Make a lot and invite your friends - chili is more of a social event than just a meal, after all.

"M.O.A.B. Chili" - for those times when "Atomic" or "Nuclear" is just too much."

1 lb ground round

1 lb Italian sausage

2 bottles Shiner Bock (or your favorite darker beer - Sam Adams Winter Lager is a good substitute for Shiner Bock)

black pepper - 1tsp

salt - 1tsp

1 big white onion, diced

Garlic clove section - pureed

2 good sized Serrano* peppers - seeds removed and pureed

Chili Powder - 3Tbsp

Cumin - 1Tbsp

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 can Rotel Tomatoes

2 cans Ranch beans (if you like beans - Terlingua style is "no beans")

up to 1 cup water (or another beer), if it's getting too thick (should not be runny or soupy, though)

Masa powder (just in case it starts going runny 2-3Tbsp/gallon as necessary to thicken it back up)

All Tbsp & Tsp should be heaping.

Cook it:

Use a large crock pot or large chili/stock pot for the concoction - big skillet or frying pan for the meat

Brown (or gray) the meat with the onions, black pepper & salt

Drain the meat, toss into the pot

Add tomato sauce, Rotel, beans, and beer

Cook until slow-roll boiling, then add the garlic, Serrano, chili powder, and cumin

Let it all slow-roll boil for about 3-5 minutes

Turn down heat to simmer, cover and periodically check/stir every 15 minutes for at least 2 hours

It's chili, so periodically taste and adjust spices until it's how you like it - if it starts getting runny, add some Masa powder (not flour) to bring it back to the right consistency. Add a bit of water to the Masa and blend into a thin paste, then fold into the chili, otherwise the shock of it hitting the heat will make it clump... which is not desirable.

* Use Jalapeno, Green Chili, or Bell Peppers, depending on preference - Serranos are a good "middle-of-the-road" pepper: not too much heat, and not too much "peppery" flavor. Bell peppers are for people who grew up north of Moab, Utah, never left the State, and think that Taco Bell "Spicy" is "hot." ;) :D (Hey... that was me until I joined the Air Force rofl )

Dice up another onion or two and have some shredded cheese handy (toss some on - why not?). Also have some corn chips and salsa and/or queso handy, for when you run out of chili during the game.

Most important chili experience ingredient: Get someone to pick up some Little Caesar's Crazy Bread - a bunch, like 4-6 bags (it's cheap, and perfect with Chili). If you make a lot, you'll need more beer, too - make sure someone brings more of that as well. ;) :D

Have fun!

Nothing wrong with that. Chili is kind of a personal thing - there's no right or wrong way to make it. ::thumb::

My sister puts a cup of peanut butter in hers... adds an interesting flavor. She got the idea because as kids we would always dip a peanut butter sandwich in our chili.

I've also heard about people using cinnamon. Rumor has it that Skyline Chili (a Cincinnati favorite) has chocolate in it. Although their stuff is more like coney sauce. But damn, is it good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a Aussie version

Not as elaborate but the simple things work best sometimes

ingredients

1kg lean beef or pork

vegetable oil

1 chopped onion

1 clove garlic, crushed

I like 250ml Byron bay SMOKIN’MANGO CHILLI SAUCE

2 cups beef broth

salt

cooking

Cut meat into bite-sized cubes. Brown in hot oil. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook at medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Turn heat to a low simmer, add chilli sauce and broth. Cover and cook for 1-2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Add water as needed. Salt to taste. Meat becomes more tender the longer it cooks of course

Also works well in a slow cooker, turned low and left for a few hours.

advance prep

Chilli can be made ahead and refrigerated for around 2 days until ready to use. It can also be frozen.

variations

Add 2 cups cooked borlotti or kidney beans to chilli 30 minutes before end of cooking time.

serving idea

Serve with a selection of condiments to spoon on top: sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped red onions, sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh chillies, pickled sliced jalapeno chillies, chopped coriander, lime wedges. Or spoon chilli into hot flour tortillas along with any of the above condiments for burrito filling. You guys would know this better than us

Chilli can also be served over hot rice.

Sauces & Salsas

smokin’ mango chilli sauce with chipotles sauce. Its a great dish to eat outside on a hot humid QLD evening waiting on the first storms of the wet season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of cinnamon, that's what I use. My recipe below:

Olive oil, for frying

1kg minced beef

500g chorizo, cut into 1 cm cubes

2 x 400g tins of kidney beans, drained, or 200g dried kidney beans, soaked overnight (optional)

2 onions, peeled and chopped

4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

800g tin chopped tomatoes

1 tbsp dried oregano

2 tsp cumin

chilli powder, to taste. Start with about a tbsp, and increase accordingly

1 cinnamon stick

2 bay leaves

1 tsp good quality cocoa

pinch brown sugar

1 tbsp red wine vinegar

750 ml beef stock

You get the idea. Brown the meat and add it to the tomato / chilli / onion mixture.

Simmer and leave for a few hours. Best made the day before so the flavours can infuse.

The cinnamon and cocoa add a lovely depth and richness to things.

(Homer Simpson voice) "Mmmm... 'Chorizo.'"

Best breakfast burrito ingredient ever. ::thumb::

Back