Finally decided on exhaust system.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys. After reading a lot of threads and posts on here and other sites, I have finally decided on a complete exhaust system. Seems like the Pypes kit is a no brainer for our cars and the fit and finish seem to be really good. I shopped around at a few muffler shops for a custom system but I don't trust many people to do ANY work on my car. The price was about the same as the pypes kit also. I just helped my buddy install a 2 post lift in his garage a few months ago, so we are gonna do the exhaust at his place. I plan on fitting the entire system then tacking everything together with the mig welder except the joints at the mufflers. I will use band clamp on those connections for easy removal. The rest of the system will be welded in with stainless wire. I am also installing a set of electric dual cutouts just behind the headers with a remote control key fob. My headers are already on and are Hedman ceramic coated long tube headers. If anyone has any tips or helpful thoughts please feel free to let me know. I ordered the cutouts yesterday and I am placing my order with Summit today. Here are a few pics of the components that I will be using and some links to the info about them.

Hedman Headers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88326/overview/

2efszer.jpg

Pypes exhaust kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pye-sfm04s/overview/

qs1hyx.jpg

Band clamps http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692250/overview/

2nvv7yr.jpg

Tips http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-pac212ss/overview/

rlcaxt.jpg

Cutouts http://www.ebay.com/itm/BadlanzHPE-Electric-Exhaust-Cutout-Cutouts-2-5-INCH-SS-/180740402568?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a14f7ad88&vxp=mtr

25f691s.jpg

Remote http://www.ebay.com/itm/BadlanzHPE-Electric-Exhaust-Cutout-E-Cutout-Controller-/170714046170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bf599eda

4j44cy.jpg

Sweet! That was pretty much my exact plan when I initially stated putting mine together. But Summit's Hedmans were back-ordered for 2 months... so I went with the Hookers I currently have. I was also in a bit of a hurry at the time, so I decided I'd just wait on the dumps.

The band clamps are definitely something I'll be getting soon. Mine currently looks like a forest of standard clamps underneath - especially around the X-pipe area. I'm thinking band clamps front and rear of the mufflers, and welding everything else is a capital idea - can't wait to see how you get it done! ::thumb::

When I get to the point of driving mine, I'll remedy my 'clamps' issue with the new exhaust shop in town (owned by a friend of a good friend).

Once it's all installed give us a link to a youtube vid so we can hear it! I've been eyeballing this exhaust system and I've heard good things about pypes as well. Welding is a priceless skill.

Scott are your mufflers the street pro's? If they are, they still sound pretty throaty! My car has glass packs on it now and the noise is getting old on long trips! It has more of a crack to it than a rumble. I wanted to quiet it down a little for long trips and then if I want to make someone sh*t themselves, I will open up the headers and let 550+HP scream!! LOL :D It will sound cool idling to your parking spot at the shows with the headers opened up! I probably didn't need the cutouts but what the hell it will be something fun to play with!

All parts are ordered and should be in by early next week. After I get everything in and it quits raining here I will get it down to my buddies garage and get to work on it. I will try to post up a video of it, but im not the greatest with that stuff and all I have to film with is my I phone!

Also one other question for anyone that has ever welded stainless exhaust. I have done some research on welding stainless with a mig and have got mixed reviews on what type of shielding gas can be used. Some say the standard 75/25 mix is fine, others say straight argon and other say the BEST is tri-mix. Well I don't want to buy another bottle just for this one job, so what is a better option?? I have straight argon bottle for my aluminum spool gun and I have 75/25 bottle for my regular mig welding. I know I will need to pick up a small 2lb spool of stainless wire but was just wondering what gas would give the nicer weld?? Let me know if we have any welders out there.

Thanks Kevin

All the parts are in for the new exhaust!!!! My wife text me this morning at work and said the last box just arrived. My 7 year old was kind enough to open it and assemble it on the porch for me. LOL!!!

I was talking to my buddy and he is going to bring home his tig welder from work. So I get to try my hand at tig welding for the first time on this new exhaust system. He has done a good bit of it at work and said he will walk me through it. So wish me luck :) I have welded for years with stick and mig so I hope I learn quickly. Im certified to stick weld up to 1 1/2" structure. I will post up some pics of the welds if im not too embarrassed of them LOL!!!

15mn2bm.jpg

28jgyzk.jpg

Scott are your mufflers the street pro's? If they are, they still sound pretty throaty! My car has glass packs on it now and the noise is getting old on long trips! It has more of a crack to it than a rumble. I wanted to quiet it down a little for long trips and then if I want to make someone sh*t themselves, I will open up the headers and let 550+HP scream!! LOL :D It will sound cool idling to your parking spot at the shows with the headers opened up! I probably didn't need the cutouts but what the hell it will be something fun to play with!

All parts are ordered and should be in by early next week. After I get everything in and it quits raining here I will get it down to my buddies garage and get to work on it. I will try to post up a video of it, but im not the greatest with that stuff and all I have to film with is my I phone!

Also one other question for anyone that has ever welded stainless exhaust. I have done some research on welding stainless with a mig and have got mixed reviews on what type of shielding gas can be used. Some say the standard 75/25 mix is fine, others say straight argon and other say the BEST is tri-mix. Well I don't want to buy another bottle just for this one job, so what is a better option?? I have straight argon bottle for my aluminum spool gun and I have 75/25 bottle for my regular mig welding. I know I will need to pick up a small 2lb spool of stainless wire but was just wondering what gas would give the nicer weld?? Let me know if we have any welders out there.

Thanks Kevin
Argon's fine. I know you'll practice first.

Thanks for the help guys. We decided not to mig weld it now. my buddy is bringing home his TIG welder from work. So we are going to tig weld this bad boy together and see how it comes out!

the tig is good pay attention to your gaps nice even joint, put a small bevel on the tube and clean everything. It cant be too clean and your gaps cant be too perfect. Tig welding is fun and with a few practice runs you can lay down a pretty tidy bead that's more than acceptable for exhausts. Run the car and any leaks will show black on the pipes. Use the tig to seal them up the easiest way is just hold it on the leak and move it in a very small circle you probably wont even need to add filler

Thanks Guys ! I am an experienced welder just never tig welded LOL!!! O well whats the worst that can happen??? they may not look so pretty?? Its under the car so I figure, what the hell, I will give it a whirl. I will be starting it tonight. I will post some pics up tomorrow of the progress.

Luke what's the best thing to use for the bevel? and what should i use to clean the pipes?? I was told a sand paper flapper disc would work to bevel and acetone to clean the joints for the welds. Sound right?

Also my buddy said if the joints are nice and tight we should use a very minimal amount of filler rod he said it will most just melt the 2 pipes together. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, don't use chlorinated brake clean. http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

DAMN!!!! Thanks for the heads up!! I use brake clean ALL the time to clean parts before welding! I use CRC Brake clean in the green can thats non-chlorinated. Just glad I never bought another brand that was chlorinated! A lot of cleaners are chlorinated. I think CRC in the red can is. Man guess I got lucky all those years. I will definitely pay attention to that. Damn stuff just cleans so good!

Thanks Guys ! I am an experienced welder just never tig welded LOL!!! O well whats the worst that can happen??? they may not look so pretty?? Its under the car so I figure, what the hell, I will give it a whirl. I will be starting it tonight. I will post some pics up tomorrow of the progress.

Luke what's the best thing to use for the bevel? and what should i use to clean the pipes?? I was told a sand paper flapper disc would work to bevel and acetone to clean the joints for the welds. Sound right?

Also my buddy said if the joints are nice and tight we should use a very minimal amount of filler rod he said it will most just melt the 2 pipes together. ??
Here is the quick way as you dont need to have it 100%.You can use a sanding disc and carefully dab the tubes on it to square them up and test the gaps place them over the centre nut on the angle grinder, then use a file to put a small bevel on it. a bit of a rinse with hot soapy water dry it (Hair dryer dont tell your girl)then I would use a stainless wire brush or wire wheel if you have one ( mild steel wire brush would be ok as its only for your exhaust and a small amount of inclusion causes no harm here) to clean the weld area. You won't need a lot of filler but add enough to keep the little pool even and flowing.

You can tack the various sections then weld them on the ground if your mate has a mask to he can watch and steadily rotate the tube for you.

Do a couple of practice beads first with you friend assisting with he turning. Tigs are cool and when you lay down a nice tidy shiny bead its very satisfying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it didn't go so well last night. I cant get the kit to fit the way I want it to without having to modify it ALOT! So I am debating whether I want to take it to an exhaust shop and have them custom make one or just bend some of the pieces in the kit and have them install the kit?? Going to call around today and see what my options are. For some reason, I never noticed before, my motor sits higher on the driver side then it does on the passenger side. Making the header very close on the drivers side. Also since I installed the 8.8 inch rearend the muffler with contact the driveshaft and snout of the rearend. The 8.8 pinion is offset several inches to the passenger side. It interferes pretty bad. So I didn't cut anything or modify anything in the kit just in case I had to return it. Just my luck...... o well!!

I did get to practice a couple welds before I got started. They didn't turn out to bad for the first time I ever picked up a tig welder. im sure with some practice this tig welder could be really nice tool to have in the garage!!! I can see one in the future for my place. Spent about 10 min practicing and loved it.

dwwc5c.jpg

nfnx1u.jpg

Latest posts

Back