Finally Time

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hi, I've finally reached the point in life where I can get to working on my car. Pictured is a '73 Mach 1 that I've owned since 1983, it was my first car, I was 17 at the time. At the time I was obsessed with the '71-'73 fastback body style, and the 351 cleveland engine. I wanted nothing else. Only problem is I had no money, LOL. There was a '73 Q code for sale with a 4 speed for sale down the road, for $1850.00 and it looked like new (this was 1983). Well, that was way over my budget of $900.00. I drove my dad nuts looking at other cars in that range, but said no to them all. Finally, one day I was riding along with my dad as he did some errands around town (this was in Bath PA, about 2 hrs. north of Philly) and I spotted a dark green mach 1 sitting outside a house, with the rear quarter smashed in, with New Mexico plates, it was pretty rough overall. My dad said, "let me knock on the door". I watched from our truck, as someone answered and my dad went in. A few moments later he comes out and tells me we bought the car for $600.00. Next thing, he drives it home (about 5 miles), with barely any brakes, LOL. Well I am not allowed to drive it now until our local mechanic can sort it out and make it "safe". Well this guy ended up having the car for like 3 months, not sure what the hell he did, and it was a $900 bill (that my dad had to help with). But it did run and drive ok afterwards. Next I had to get the body fixed and painted. My dad knew some body shop guys that seemed to owe him a favor, so $300 later I had a "Blue Glow" Mach 1. The engine was a 351 2V, with an automatic, I wanted the 4V, and 4spd, but I guess you can't have everything, I told myself. Well I drove it all through the rest of high school and college, which brought me up to 1988. As son as I graduated I landed an job as an engineer at a defense contractor, and I finally had some money to burn. I had the engine rebuilt, and had the car painted red, along with a new interior. I drove it another 3 years until 1991, when I guess I grew tired of no air conditioning, always fiddling with points/tuning, and lack of the modern features cars were getting, also I wanted a pickup truck. So I bought a 1991 Chevy S10 truck, my first new vehicle. The mustang was parked in my parents garage and has been there ever since, Early on I would start it every so often, but eventually, the gas became varnish, the battery was, dead, etc.. Also, i got married, raised a family, paid (still paying) for college, etc. Which brings me to 2024. I put a new gas tank in and carb, and it didn't take too long to get to fire over. Then rented a car trailer and brought it down to my house in NJ. The pic attached is how it looks today. It looks pretty good, but mechanically not so good, brakes barely move, engine runs, rough, trans, not sure about yet, etc.. lots to do. :) But I can't wait to get it on the road again. My plan is to get it running, driving, and stopping, then start adding in some upgrades as time and money afford. I definately need AC, or at least the heater fixed. I had to bypass the heater core shortly before I parked it in 1991, as it was leaking.

Well that's my story, looking forward to utilizing this forum as a resource.

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome and howdy from Texas! Great history on your journey with your Mustang. Start a build thread so we can follow along and don't hesitate to ask questions or get in on all the discussions.

Welcome from NM. Great story, you were lucky that you were able to keep your car for decades. Now the fun begins. Enjoy!

Back