’71 Mach 1 Resto Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sequential taillights are a nice touch! (In video two).
Thanks, I bought them knowing they are sequential as the turn signal flashes, but wasn't aware that they light up sequentially when you hit the brakes, that was just a nice surprise, haha.

I drove the Mustang over to a friends to work on his car this morning and it ran really well. I got home around 12:00 and the front spoiler I ordered Thursday from NPD had already arrived. I felt obligated to install it considering it came so quickly, haha. One step closer to being done, of course getting around to painting and installing the bumper is the big step that I need to get to, hopefully soon. 🤞

So far I have driven it 87 miles since completion per the odometer, plus probably about 14-15 miles while the speedo was inop. In actuality, I probably have over 100 miles on it since I have semi-completed it, well on the way to being "broken in".

Mach 1 988.jpgMach 1 987.jpg
Mach 1 989.jpg

Congrats on a great build! Your car has come a long way from where you started and looks amazing.

Not trying to be critical here but is your left hood lock too tight? It seems to be pulling the hood down at the front and distorting the hood. You shouldn't need to push down on the hood to latch them. I've found if I set them to where they don't distort the metal when locked and add a little blue Loctite on the threads, they work well and look good.

On another note, and since you're able to spend some time behind the wheel, what do you think of the tilt steering column? I like the feature and am considering adding one to my '72. What is your opinion of it's worth it from an ergonomic perspective?

Congrats on a great build! Your car has come a long way from where you started and looks amazing.

Not trying to be critical here but is your left hood lock too tight? It seems to be pulling the hood down at the front and distorting the hood. You shouldn't need to push down on the hood to latch them. I've found if I set them to where they don't distort the metal when locked and add a little blue Loctite on the threads, they work well and look good.

On another note, and since you're able to spend some time behind the wheel, what do you think of the tilt steering column? I like the feature and am considering adding one to my '72. What is your opinion of it's worth it from an ergonomic perspective?
Thank you, I am very pleased with the results thus far, although there are plenty of things on my punch list of stuff that still needs to get done The drivers hood lock adjustment is one of the things on my punch list that I still need to revisit. I am trying to get to the big things that keep me from driving it and am making a list of smaller things to circle back around to. I copied Roadkill's process. I took a piece of cardboard and taped it up on the wall of the garage. Every time I see something I need to address, I take the Sharpie and write it on the cardboard. I cross each task off as I resolve them. I have found it's a good way to stay organized and on task, and I must say the crossed off things give a sense of accomplishment.

Regarding the tilt column, I am a big fan and would definitely make the investment again. I actually have added tilt wheel to all of my cars, I don't drive around with the steering wheel in my lap, just maybe one notch lower than a standard column would be is comfortable for me. I also like to tilt the wheel up for a more comfortable entry or exit. It is a small luxury that I always try to treat myself with. Neither of my Camaro's or my Chevelle had the option originally but I added it to each when I restored them.

Here is a pic of a punch list from the Roadkill garage TV show, although they have the luxury of going through the list at the end of an episode and cross off the stuff that just not going to happen, haha.

Below is my current list I made when I brought the Mustang home from the body shop. This cardboard is about full, I probably need to transfer the undone to a new piece of cardboard, so I can continue to add as I come across stuff. I tend to delay starting a new cardboard because I do like to glance over and see the crossed off stuff for motivation, LOL.

punchlist.jpg

punchlist 2.jpg

I also received my new buck tag from Marti yesterday in the mail. When I bought my car it only had the corner of it left, and the screw that was holding it on.

I ordered it from Marti last December and they said they make them when they have enough ordered so it finally came and I painted it and installed it this morning.

Mach 1 (11a).jpgMach 1 990.jpg

Last night after work, I got the dash speakers assembled and installed, I am trying to get as much sound as I can from the three factory locations. I definitely do not want to cut any of the trim panels if I can achieve decent sound quality without it. I realize it will not be audiophile quality just trying to get a clean sound with decent fill and separation. I fabricated a beveled wood mounting plate for the two 3 1/2" Kicker coaxial speakers to fit the factory speaker mount. I am hoping by pitching the two speakers away from each other they will gain some separation as the sound bounces off the windshield. I also installed speaker baffles to try keep sound from getting lost inside the dash. I won't wire these up to the radio until after I send it out to have the stock radio upgraded to a four channel system with 40 watts nominal per channel and blue tooth. These speakers are rated up to 50 watts nominal so they should be a good match. I also bought 4x6 Kicker coaxial speakers for the door location that are also rated up to 50 watts nominal. I will install them in the doors, also with speaker baffles, once the radio is upgraded and it is a cleaner source.. I put cheaper speakers in the doors and hooked them up to the stock Ford radio for now. I don't want to chance damaging the better speakers feeding them stock ohm levels and distortion.

I also found the map light that I bought off of eBay a year ago and installed and wired that up. After that I installed the dash pad for good, hopefully.

I am hoping to take it to it's first car show tonight, it is the last monthly show for the year tonight, so it is tonight or next spring for this show. We will see how the work day goes if I can slip out early and go.

Mach 1 992.jpgMach 1 993.jpgMach 1 995.jpgMach 1 994.jpg

Last night after work, I got the dash speakers assembled and installed, I am trying to get as much sound as I can from the three factory locations. I definitely do not want to cut any of the trim panels if I can achieve decent sound quality without it. I realize it will not be audiophile quality just trying to get a clean sound with decent fill and separation. I fabricated a beveled wood mounting plate for the two 3 1/2" Kicker coaxial speakers to fit the factory speaker mount. I am hoping by pitching the two speakers away from each other they will gain some separation as the sound bounces off the windshield. I also installed speaker baffles to try keep sound from getting lost inside the dash. I won't wire these up to the radio until after I send it out to have the stock radio upgraded to a four channel system with 40 watts nominal per channel and blue tooth. These speakers are rated up to 50 watts nominal so they should be a good match. I also bought 4x6 Kicker coaxial speakers for the door location that are also rated up to 50 watts nominal. I will install them in the doors, also with speaker baffles, once the radio is upgraded and it is a cleaner source.. I put cheaper speakers in the doors and hooked them up to the stock Ford radio for now. I don't want to chance damaging the better speakers feeding them stock ohm levels and distortion.

I also found the map light that I bought off of eBay a year ago and installed and wired that up. After that I installed the dash pad for good, hopefully.

I am hoping to take it to it's first car show tonight, it is the last monthly show for the year tonight, so it is tonight or next spring for this show. We will see how the work day goes if I can slip out early and go.

View attachment 93136View attachment 93137View attachment 93138View attachment 93139
Looks like it should work. Where'd you get the baffles for the door speakers?

Looks like it should work. Where'd you get the baffles for the door speakers?
I bought them from crutchfield.com, I have been getting a lot of my audio equipment from them since I was a teenager, back when you ordered out of their paper catalog, LOL. I like to use the speaker baffles in car audio installs to help control the sound. I always cut a slightly larger than necessary hole in the side of the baffle for the wires. The holes somewhat works as a poor man's bass port and lets the speaker breathe a little.

Last edited:
Back