FMX shifter seal replacement suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1000

Reaction score
My Car
1966 convertible
1971 Mach 1
1971 Cougar XR7
1967 F250 Camper Special
So going to replace the kick down and shifter seal in my FMX this weekend. I've done it before and it's a royal PITA. Anyone have any tips from you doing it in the past?

I plan on pumping the fluid out the dipstick before dropping the pan. I'll drop the pan tonight so what's left in the trans drips out and doesn't run down my arm while I'm working on it. (oil boarding!)

I've head to just loosen the front servo but don't remove it?

The biggest thing is that stupid spring and plunger in there...

So going to replace the kick down and shifter seal in my FMX this weekend. I've done it before and it's a royal PITA. Anyone have any tips from you doing it in the past?

I plan on pumping the fluid out the dipstick before dropping the pan. I'll drop the pan tonight so what's left in the trans drips out and doesn't run down my arm while I'm working on it. (oil boarding!)

I've never had the pleasure of replacing one, but I know other members have suffered through the process, it would be a big help if you take a few minutes to take some pictures and give some pointers while your replacing yours.

Just a suggestion.....good luck.

Mac

Youtube has videos on this job.. I just did the shift shaft seals on a C4.. Not a bad job, just dropped the pan and main valve body, removed the retainer nut on the shaft and replaced the seal.. There is a second seal "O" ring that sits inside the downshift shaft which also gets brittle over time and leaks.. Total job took me about 1 1/2 hours..

I've never had the pleasure of replacing one, but I know other members have suffered through the process, it would be a big help if you take a few minutes to take some pictures and give some pointers while your replacing yours.

Just a suggestion.....good luck.

Mac
I'll see what I can do but you'll have to suffer looking at the underside of a 70 Cougar...lollerz

Back