FMX Transmission issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parforever

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I continue to have FMX transmission issues. I had to open it up when I had it out to replace the o-rings around the shifter lever and the kickdown lever. Can't get the kickdown rod to fit, but now I think I put the kickdown lever on the transmission side back in wrong somehow. How much play should be on the kickdown lever attached to the transmission? I have a lot of play and it doesn't seem right. Looking at pic 1 and 2 I believe the natural position of the lever should be lower which means the rod would fit. In pic 3 you can see the kickdown lever against the body which shows how much play there is which makes me suspect its in wrong cause I wouldn't think the lever has that much play... any help any suggestions?

Transmission 101.JPG

Transmission 102.JPG

Transmission 103.JPG

176 Views and no help :( Once we take it apart I hope its an easy fix

Can you tell me how much the kickdown lever moves there on the transmission? Mine moves a lot and I don't think it should. Good pics...your lever is not in the same position as mine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally got inside the tranny today. What we found out when we replaced the o-rings on the shifter and kickdown was that the valve body had a piston that the kickdown lever had to be in-between. Pictures would have never caught that and thankfully we figured it out. Wasn't easy but wasn't hard...just meticulous...so happy to get it fixed...two more weeks and my full off frame restoration will get painted...woohoo!

Back