FMX Transmission kickdown help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parforever

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Dropped the 351C and the FMX transmission back into the 1971 Mach 1 and now the kickdown doesn't fit. The shifter lever is fine, the lever to the steering wheel is fine but the darn lever for the kickdown seems to be a hair too big when connecting back into the carb.

Anybody run across this?

Not sure what you mean by too big? if it is too long perhaps it can be bent slightly? , or cut down and reshaped?

I ran into all kinds of problems when I put an Edelbrock carb on my 302. Neither the throttle cable nor the kick down lined up so I bought a Lokar kick down and throttle cable replacement kit. The cable is easy to install and looks much better than that big clunky lever anyways. Here is the cable.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd-2fmxht/overview/make/ford

No changes just dropped it back it in. Now the transmission rubber mount was gone, so wondering if the kickdown might have just gotten bent on its own and now that I replaced with all new parts it has made a difference.

" Now the transmission rubber mount was gone, so wondering if the kickdown might have just gotten bent on its own and now that I replaced with all new parts it has made a difference."

That makes sense, that the rod may have just been stretched, over time. How far off are you? Less than a quarter of an inch? If you are just re-installing the stock engine (including stock intake and carb) and trans, it should almost fall back together.

Any chance the kickdown slipped on the side of the transmission?

Latest posts

Back