FMX Transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 H code Mach 1
Okay haven't done to much to Stang recently, But don't like the idea of it sitting without doing something to it. So i dropped the trans pan today to change filter and see if i could look and notice anything that might be causing the problems i have had with this thing. Here is what i found
IM002769-1.jpg
The tab on selector arm is where the red arrow is, and if i am not mistaken it should be where the blue arrow is? Am i correct on this one?? been a while since i have tore into an FMX

What are the syptoms of the problems your having? I'ts been many years for me too. But as I recall the tab set is Incorrect. This is a sliding stem that changes fluid flow according to which channel it allows open due to position. Doesn't it slide to the right to control the fluid flow though the valve body for 1,2 and Drive? and the very front tab (extreme left) is for reverse fluid flow then sealing off to park?

They say the memory is the second thing to go, but I keep argueing that!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Reverse is in drive and drive is in low gear on shifter, been like that since i bought it, just haven't had time or money to work on it. dropped pan and filter today to take a look and that was the first thing i noticed. Going to reset it in the morning. last fmx i tore into was 20 plus years ago, so my memory of it is a little fuzzy

Thanks Roy, Been a while since i have been on or posted anything.Trying to catch up on post since i have been gone. How is Your Mustang coming along?
Slow to almost stopped but if we could get the master cylinder to work I would say stopped. But chugging along I guess.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Wonder how it got that wat though. Take a good look at the tab on the right of where your going to put it and see if there may be a chip missing. Sombody had to force it pretty hard.

I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Wonder how it got that wat though. Take a good look at the tab on the right of where your going to put it and see if there may be a chip missing. Sombody had to force it pretty hard.
That was the problem.Everything else seems to look okay, but it will need a rebuild soon a lot of debris in pan when removed

When you do the rebuild I'd have them replace that sliding stem. I'll be curiouse to here from you if you get on it hard and manually shift it if it doesn't happen again. Hopeitlasts forever though. ::goodjob::

When you do the rebuild I'd have them replace that sliding stem. I'll be curiouse to here from you if you get on it hard and manually shift it if it doesn't happen again. Hopeitlasts forever though. ::goodjob::
having a little problem with it getting high gear as in it has no high gear lollerz took out for a test drive slammed into second a few times at 4500, 5000, and 6000 rpm's ( more like 10 times ) and it has not happened again still seems to be in the correct place, i believe someone put a shift lit in it and when they put the valve body back in they did not pay attention to where the detent was on the linkage. Now i need to figure out what year trans it is and start getting parts to over haul

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Roy, Been a while since i have been on or posted anything.Trying to catch up on post since i have been gone. How is Your Mustang coming along?
Slow to almost stopped but if we could get the master cylinder to work I would say stopped. But chugging along I guess.
Yea it's a good thing to be able to stop these things once they get going :D , What problems are you having with master cylinder?

Yea it's a good thing to be able to stop these things once they get going :D , What problems are you having with master cylinder?
Its a new Wilwood and not getting pressure out of the rear reservoir, gonna look at it on Thursday. Been a crazy week so far.

Its a new Wilwood and not getting pressure out of the rear reservoir, gonna look at it on Thursday. Been a crazy week so far.
I went the cheap route on mine, auto zone specialty master cylinder lollerz Hope you get the bugs worked out of it

Latest posts

Back