Adjusting stock kickdown on a 1972 Mustang with an fmx transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hscott

Reaction score
Hi. I have been looking at prior threads but haven't found exactly what I need. I am hoping someone can give me step by step instructions/guidance on adjusting the kickdown on my 1972 Mustang with a 302 and an fmx transmission. Carb is also stock.

Many thanks!

I assume that the kickdown linkage on the carburetor is still the original one.
There is an adjustment screw on the kickdown lever on the carburetor. When the carburetor is at WOT, so the throttles are open to the maximum, this adjustment screw should be between 0.05 and 0.07 inch from the fully extended kickdown linkage. This setting will engage the kick down rod short before WOT and will prevent the levers on the carburetor from going to block.

I assume that the kickdown linkage on the carburetor is still the original one.
There is an adjustment screw on the kickdown lever on the carburetor. When the carburetor is at WOT, so the throttles are open to the maximum, this adjustment screw should be between 0.05 and 0.07 inch from the fully extended kickdown linkage. This setting will engage the kick down rod short before WOT and will prevent the levers on the carburetor from going to block.
Thank you. So, there should be a .05 to .07 Gap between the adjustment screw and the kickdown lever at wot? Thanks for my on the job training. Much appreciated.

Back