Ford Schematics are Wrong!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
A customer of mine with a 73 is having a shop do work on his car. He had a question about the alternator lamp using a 71 dash cluster...Hmmm...on a 73, the alternator indicator lamp is part of the underdash harness and doesn't use the circuit card wiring. You can simply plug the lamp into the dash cluster on top of the circuit card, as there are no contacts on the base face of that socket. OK...so far so good.

His next problem is that the indicator lamp would not go out with the engine running. He described problems with the voltage regulator wiring and said he was consulting the large 11x17" Ford Schematics (actually the 1973 Ford Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams), which is where most of the documentation for these cars come from. We discussed the use of 3 pin VR connectors vice 4 pin: 4 pins are for indicator lamps and 3 pins are for dash clusters (actually for the ammeter). I couldn't answer his questions from memory, and he said he would e-mail me some pictures, including the schematic. This is what he sent:

VRschematic.jpg

Ford labeled the alternator lamp and ammeter schematics backwards! I confirmed this with not only the Ford Shop Manual for 1973, but pulled an alternator harness with VR from a standard 1973 and confirmed it was the four pin variant.

This is a major screw-up with Ford documentation that I just found. I'm astounded.

Hey don't you wonder how many proof readings they had? I use to do hand drawn tool designs before computers. You had to put the dimensions on the drawing and the die maker built from the drawing. I use to tell my boss, that said he check my drawings, that I put three on purpose errors in for him to find. He threatened to fire me over that.

I know that the dedicated SVO manual is wrong on the the 85 SVO on where a connector is located. Cost me a tow bill and visit to dealer my first. Manual was wrong the service manager just laughed and showed me Ford said it was under the passenger seat and it was under drivers seat.

I am sure the guys at the dealerships figured it out but did Ford ever correct? Are later revisions right?

Great to have someone that knows this stuff in the Form and thanks for all your great info.

Thanks Midlife - didn't get a chance to thank you through email so I will do it publicly - it is my car that is benefiting from you. You are the best!

I have found a lot of errors in shop manuals over the years, not only Ford, but also Chilton's, Motors, etc.

My dad told me once, "Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see." I'm sure that reading part would also apply to TV and internet, if he said it today. Pretty smart man for someone who had only a 4th grade education...

Latest posts

Back