from 2V to 4V heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is best to do, original 4V heads(900€) or aftermarket alum.heads?

Are the heads just to change(plug & play) or must i do other replacements?

Engine again out the car or not for doing the swap?

Than i need also other hedders + exhaust + ... + ...

Or just let it so and buy new intake and carburetor?

Advice please.

:(

Depends upon what you intend to do with the car. If it will be a daily driver car that you mostly cruise around in I'd consider trying it as is. If it isn't up to par, just an intake manifold change would be my next course of action.

I would only upgrade to 4V heads if I wanted to drag race the car, or drive it very aggressively. 4V heads like 3.89 gears, manual transmissions, and headers-without all three I would stick to the heads you have.

4V iron heads, by the time you build them properly cost almost as much as aluminum ones ready to go. With any head change, you will need a top end gasket set and will need to verify proper pushrod length and valvetrain geometry-most likely you will want to add roller rocker arms, guide plates and hardened pushrods.

Aluminum offer the advantage of lighter weight and slightly improved detonation resistance, but I prefer iron for the durability and the fact that they seem less prone to head gasket failures, as the expansion rate matches that of the block better than aluminum.

With your motor being some what stockish...I would just pick up some already rebuilt 4v heads from ebay...4v open chambered iron heads all done up show up cheap..I just got a set 2 months ago for 250 bucks..lol..But you are over seas...I would do some pricing around....And stay away from rebuilding them if you can...Sence you got the 4v manifold already i would dump the heads for some decent 4v's...Atleast that is what i would do.

I would sell them unmarked heads...Cause all the 400 and 351m series are known for being the worst flowing versions of the head...Not bad for a truck motor or low performance thou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overseas shipping cost around $1000, HELP!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

For sale in Netherland (6 hours driving):

FORD 351C 4V Closed Chamber Heads €900

Are that the right heads...?

Those are closed chamber..Great heads...But they will always charge more for those than open chamber...Both heads are great in my book...On going battle on what is better open or closed...But hard to beat open for the price...Those heads still have original Ford valves in them to..Which will need to be replaced..They was two piece welded valve and some times break....Reason i say to go after some rebuilt heads and make sure they replaced the valves....You mite be able to get a set of nice aluminum ones for same price..Cheaper to ship atleast than heavy cast irons.

But i know when dealing with anything overseas the price is always diffrent..I would shop around...I would not pay that much for them heads here..But that is here!! lol over there you mite not be able to get anything really cheap in a cleveland.

Start here to get severe headaches

:(
I do not blame you...You could change the top end to fit ..Mite be cheaper just to get yourself on the road..Those heads will work decent with proper manifold...and maybe stick your 4v manifold set away till you find some heads cheaper...I would shop around and see what your options are.

Back