From bad news come good news

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir, a MG. The owner import cars from US, don't anything on its, just sell them.

Were so lot of beautifull cars in his garage, but I was not really interested on the other cars :)

A lot of MG's in France, it's very common now to find those cars, but now the wind is changing direction, the cars from the seventies are giving more and more interest :)

Now most of you are sleeping, and my brother and me will leave in an hour to pick up the Mach 1, everything is ready. Yesterday we picked up a trailer to a rental agency (with problem to the elctric plug but now it's fixed).

So we drive all day, stay one night over there, pick up the car then drive back home, we should be back tomorrow evening.

A bientƓt.

SAM_6591.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Back home, the car is in the garage. I spent good time with my brother :)

The trip:

SAM_6593.JPG

SAM_6603.JPG

SAM_6604.JPG

SAM_6609.JPG

SAM_6616.JPG

SAM_6619.JPG

SAM_6623.JPG

SAM_6599.JPG

SAM_6630.JPG

SAM_6641.JPG

SAM_6636.JPG

SAM_6647.JPG

SAM_6648.JPG

SAM_6652.JPG

To be continued...

Be sure you take lots of pictures before you take anything apart it looked like it had not been changed much from original.

I believe that when You got a Mach 1 in 73 you got the hood as part of the package and it also included hood locks. The hood might have been changed over the years. I looked at my window sticker and it does not list the hood or locks just the Tutone Hood Paint that cost $18.00.

Keep the vinyl top the trim pieces, clips and pins go for $300.00 USD here if you can find them.

David

Merci monsieur Pasteur :)

Looks totally original, there are 88000 miles on the counter. I don't know if it's possible that the tires are original too, they are not useble anymore, and size are 70x14, like it should be at first.

This week end I will jack up the car the maximum high I can and will start to picture underneath, make pictures for sure, and keep all numbers I can find, gearbox, transmission etc...

Anyone knows about Goodmark sheet metal? I found a tail light panel on Ebay for a cheap price shipped to France.

Last night one of the other members with a 73 Mach1 had the info on why you don't have hood locks. The NASA hood did come with the Mach 1 option. If you got the Tutone Hood Paint then you got the hood locks included. The hood locks were not a separate option. That was a deal you got the Tutone paint and the locks for $18.00 retail $15.26 dealer cost.

The tires back then did not last very long I got as little as 2,000 miles but I was burning the tires and sliding around lots of turns.

There are a couple makers for the tail light panel, Goodmark and Dynacorn are well known. I personally have never had to replace one so I cannot say who is best. You should build a list and order at one time and save on the cost and shipping. The replacement metal panels are mostly easy to find you can almost buy the entire car. Order catalogs from suppliers so you know what is available. Some items on eBay are a rip off and some are good deals. Most bidding happens the last few seconds of eBay auctions unless it is something that has a good buy it now price. I have purchased items at swap meets and resold on eBay for 4 times what I paid.

Don't start cutting out panels before you have the replacement. You need to brace the back end before cutting out the tail light panel to hold the correct width and you need to get some measurements to get the new panel back correctly.

There were not too many stickers on 73 cars, they are on things like wiring harness and some interior parts. Lots of stamps with yellow paint and grease pencil markings on sheet metal and also engine. Things like the rear springs, drive shaft. sway bars and such have a color coding with several colors of paint.

There were inspection stamps all over the engine round circle with a number of the inspector. It is sort of odd that I have two cars with the same inspectors stamps a bold MM or WW depending on which way you look at it. Picture included.

One thing you should do is pull out the seats. Take the outside seat belts off, Torx drive bolts, remove the door sills and lift the carpet. The broadcast sheet or build sheet is probably still under the carpet. It can be under the sound insulation also. Be careful when lifting the insulation. The last one I found was folded up and on the seat riser on the drivers side. Sometimes they are under the rear seat or under the dash just stuffed in. I attached a picture of what you are looking for. This tells everything about your car even has a place for special order instructions on the bottom. I did scan the sheet but cannot read much on this one too much rust stain and damage. You can zoom in on the scan to see more detail. The picture just lets you know what you are looking for.

I have found swivel head sockets inside the car that came from the assembly line. When I took a console out there melted into the carpet was a cigarette that someone had put down the someone else put the console on top of it while lit. It is sort of a CSI or mystery hunt when you take a car apart you never know what will be there.

I am sure you have heard of a Marti. You can order the simple one that gives the options your car came with and basic info for $18.00 or you can get new door sticker, Marti report, widow sticker and all but gets into the hundreds for that. I you have a special order car the Marti will not tell you anything about the special order just that it was a special order not what it included. Also pic included.

Long reply but want you to get started out right.

David

DSC00142.JPG

DSC_0494.JPG

DSC00123 (2).JPG

I will order the Deluxe Marti report, and maybe the invoice. Already get the one for the GrandƩ.

About the nasa hood I read that in 73 it was not functionnal, was there just for the look. This week end I want to remove seats and carpets to see what I can find, as you said we never know what we can find. What I don't want to find is some coolant liquid on the passenger side, I did replaced the heater core on my GrandƩ and was a pain in the a.., so I don't want to do it again, plus the Mach 1 get the A/C.

But if i have to do, I will do of course.

I found this today in the glovebox.

IMG_20150922_192703.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will order the Deluxe Marti report, and maybe the invoice. Already get the one for the GrandƩ.

About the nasa hood I read that in 73 it was not functionnal, was there just for the look. This week end I want to remove seats and carpets to see what I can find, as you said we never know what we can find. What I don't want to find is some coolant liquid on the passenger side, I did replaced the heater core on my GrandƩ and was a pain in the a.., so I don't want to do it again, plus the Mach 1 get the A/C.

But if i have to do, I will do of course.

I found this today in the glovebox.
You could get ram air on an H code engine 351 2-V but Ford forgot to submit the Q code 351 4-V with ram air for government testing so they could not sell with ram air.

You could buy as dealer option as I did and add it after you took delivery. All the foam in the heater air cond. box is probably gone and might be a mouse from the U.S. living in there. If you do take the box out again you can put a piece of mesh wire over the round part of the heater box that goes up to the cowl to keep the critters out. I actually put 1/4" box wire under the vent on top of the cowl also. We have lots of chipmunks and squirrels here along with the mice that like to build homes in there.

David

I found a lot of things in the car, but unfortunatly the paper I was looking for is destroyed :(

Things need to be changed like the water pump, alternator bearing, plus A LOT OF THINGS.

Something afraid me a lot, on the idiot light the oil red light is on at low rpm and dissapear with higher RPM.

Something afraid me a lot, on the idiot light the oil red light is on at low rpm and dissapear with higher RPM.
It may just be the old sending unit. You could just switch the old sending unit out for a new one but you probably want to know what you have. Buy or borrow a mechanical gauge that you can use to read the real oil pressure first.

I plugged an electronic pressure gauge and read around 14.50 psi at idle, warm engine. Then around 45 psi at high RPM, looks ok I suppose.

About the water pump, is better to install an aluminium new pump or keep something like the original?

Be sure you take lots of pictures before you take anything apart it looked like it had not been changed much from original.

I believe that when You got a Mach 1 in 73 you got the hood as part of the package and it also included hood locks. The hood might have been changed over the years. I looked at my window sticker and it does not list the hood or locks just the Tutone Hood Paint that cost $18.00.

Keep the vinyl top the trim pieces, clips and pins go for $300.00 USD here if you can find them.

David
About the hood, I found some interesting information in a "Mustang Restoration Guide" book:

SAM_6858.JPG

Which correspondaing to my sticker:

SAM_6868.JPG

And I found out what means 16A on the Chilton book:

SAM_6883.JPG

So, or the hood have been changed over the years, the air cleaner box too.

God only knows.

Manu,

::congrats::

You have it brought home now ::thumb::

That's a keeper, looks totally original as David mentioned!

He is right in saying:

ordering a Mach 1 in 1973 with an engine bigger than the 302 you had automatically the so-called NACA-hood! If you didn't order the TuTone-paint you didn't get the hood-locks. So it seems to be all right on your car and all original! Mine was this way too - but I "need" theTuTone-appearance and I will add correctly the hood-locks... ;)

David is also right on the Ram-Air-thing: originally you could get it automatically by ordering a Boss or an 429 in 1971. There and later in 1972 you could order it as an extra option for all 351C engines which has to be on the Marti report, too. In 1973 you could only order it for the 351C 2V! I have added it nevertheless because my engine contains the best of both worlds from 1971 and 1973 and it is a 4V so it is quite legit :D And a ram-air-hood needs ram-air! Period :D

With the valve cover decal you are right - I bought one which was produced exactly for those engines and our cars - and it is nearly the same as yours! You "G" after the "A" stands for your automatic transmission, mine is manual...

Back