From bad news come good news

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paraffin oil based? What's the viscosity of this one? I noticed that's the engine oil is very low viscosity, sure it's not 20W50.

I have some much to do, don't where I need to continue. I need to step away a bit and concentrate on something else for a while I guess.
Make yourself a list of things that need to be done and parts you need. Don't jump into a big job at first start with small ones and build your confidence. That is why so many projects get started and never finished they get hung up because there is so much to do.

If you still have the valve covers off the valve stem seals can be seen inside the valve springs. Factory ones are like little black hats or cups around the valve stem going down over the casting of the valve guide. If they are broken or parts missing then you can have an issue with the oil pump unless you replace them and clean out the oil pan. If they are still complete you should be ok for a while. You can replace them without pulling the heads but it is a difficult job and requires a special tool to remove the valve spring keepers. Picture of one of the seals around the valve with spring removed is attached.

The rain finally stopped here some places got 1/2 meter of rain so lots of flooding, dams breaking and roads closed. I live in mountains so I was ok.

David

picture_php_pictureid_679_cff8364fe5d18bbe093bfbc5fb4ba0d784dc7eb4[1].jpg

I have a huge list of parts I need. I'm lucky I found the tail panel light in France, it's on its way to home.

But that will be after all what I need to do before, on the engine, the transmission, the rear end and so on.

I will never give up, but you know sometimes, its like where you leave, the mountains, we can be on the top and sometimes we are down. I will use the air compressor to keep the valve closed to change the valve stem seals, should be the easiest way to do that job.

Was a lot of rain this week on south east of France.

Yesterday I removed seats, carpets and I was happy to find this:

SAM_7021.JPG

SAM_7044.JPG

Then I can see the damages caused by corrosion:

SAM_7025.JPG

SAM_7027.JPG

I already have the left rear floor pan that was in the trunk of the car as a spare, but I guess it is better a left long pan, problem is I also need the seat platform but can't find it.

Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have the left rear floor pan that was in the trunk of the car as a spare, but I guess it is better a left long pan, problem is I also need the seat platform but can't find it.
M432L and M432R

http://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-platform-coupe-fastback-passenger-side-1971-1973/p/M432R/

I have read that they are about 1/2 inch taller than original. As my floors had been completely removed when I purchased the car, I had nothing to compare them to. If you have plenty of headroom to the headliner now, they should work fine. If you are close now, you may need to modify them to be lower.

Yes I was very happy to find the build sheet, I scan it at the maximum resolution I could (15 mo) then I can read all on this document while zooming.

The floor pan was in place, the rear left was in very bad condition, I finished to remove it, completly rotten, then the seat platform is bad too, then the driver part is not to bad, a few holes in, but could be repair. Don't know what to do as body works is not my party. I will call a professionnal to check what he can do.

But my guess is to replace the pan by a long pan floor, and the seat platform.

It's very strange, left side is damaged, right one is in good condition. Very strange how in a small space so much differences.

M432L and M432R

http://www.cjponyparts.com/seat-platform-coupe-fastback-passenger-side-1971-1973/p/M432R/

I have read that they are about 1/2 inch taller than original. As my floors had been completely removed when I purchased the car, I had nothing to compare them to. If you have plenty of headroom to the headliner now, they should work fine. If you are close now, you may need to modify them to be lower.
Thanks I have not seen on CJ.

I have no headliner as the car came without, plenty of room :)

SAM_7046.JPG

SAM_7048.JPG

SAM_7050.JPG

Some updates:

removing exaust pipes to be able to remove the C6, working under the car...

No comment.

(tomorrow exaust should be on the side). I hope. I use, hammer, grinder, hands, arms, I should use dust mask, hope no asbestos underneath of the car.

C6 dropped, I can continue slowly but surely.

I broke an L fitting on the coolong line, the one in the rear of the C6.

But it came easely.

SAM_7272.JPG

SAM_7278.JPG

SAM_7277.JPG

SAM_7276.JPG

SAM_7275.JPG

SAM_7283.JPG

SAM_7284.JPG

A/C is out, was no gas inside, just a little little bit.

Some body parts are gone to the bodyshop. I receive most of the parts I need (it will never ended), always need some new parts.

The pan floor is on the boat somewhere on the atlantic.

Next step is to remove the engine from the bay.

Question about the torque converter:

How to check it if it is in good condition?

And now a few pics

I found this ID tag

SAM_7291.JPG

SAM_7292.JPG

The C6

SAM_7327.JPG

I found this, looks like a part of the building sheet:

SAM_7341.JPG

I'm here now:

SAM_7353.JPG

SAM_7357.JPG

And my dog Oréo send you his best regards :)

SAM_7373.JPG

Not at all, I found the building sheet on under the carpet on the passenger side, and it is in bad condition but no part is missing.

SAM_7021.JPG

SAM_7023.JPG

So this is really uncommun I guess.

It could be worse, looks good - you can clean them a bit... Mine was under the drivers seat on the floor...
Looks like you are deep into the tear down. Does your dog know how to hand you wrenches?

There was more than one build sheet coming down the line sometimes more than one got inside the car. That pretty much confirms to the worker what goes on the car. They also had like teletype machine that gave them what went on which car. I have seen pictures with them stuck on the left rear quarter panel.

If there were any special instructions that were not normal options it would be typed out in the lower section. One of my build sheets has items that even the window sticker and Marti do not show due to special order. Window sticker just says special order and a price but does not tell you what.

There is still a little piece of masking tape on my hood latch bracket where you found the piece of the build sheet.

David

My dog just don't help me, he just comes to lick my face when I work under the car lollerz.

The tank is down, the tail pipes as well, my dog is happy.

What's this white shit deposit on the tank gauge?

SAM_7390.JPG

SAM_7392.JPG

Ready to pull out the engine :)

In the U.S. they are mixing ethanol with the gasoline. It causes all kinds of issues with rubber hoses and also inside the gas tank. I don't think it like the zinc coatings on components in the tank and the tank itself. Even some of the newer cars are having issues with plastic parts failing inside the gas tank. Chrysler is one having big issues. If you can get 100% gasoline and not blended with ethanol it will be better. There are stations here in U.S. that have big banners announcing that they have the higher octane fuel with no ethanol. If the car sits for long periods you need to keep the tank full to prevent moisture from getting into the tank and put gas treatment in the tank like Sta-Bil here is link. http://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BILStorage-Campaign?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=STA-BIL%20Stabilizer&utm_term=fuel%20additive&gclid=CNuvpdCFsckCFcFngQodaZwOEw&gclsrc=ds

Looks like someone had just put a new tank on.

David

The car came from US with this new tank, new front and rear brakes, new fuel pump. I wish this car was completly new. It will be, in a fewmonth.

I will never use ethanol, those cars are not made for. In France we can get 95 and 98 octane. I use 95 in the Grandé and it runs with no problem.

Back