Front and Rear Seat Rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sports Roof Fastback (early model)
1973 Coupe -Under rebuild/restore
All,

Did some research on the forum to see if anyone has shown the start to finish on the front and rear seat build/re-upholstery. Saw one back from 2011 that did not provide much information. You Tube has some good videos on generic seat rebuilds.

Got the lower seat frames repaired, sand blasted and painted. Instead of using burlap, I purchased Marine Vinyl.

I purchased the spring paper covered Listing wire from Amazon. I installed this wire, especially on the lower seat frame to provide tighter spring. We all know these seats frames are 46 years old. It may be a bit of an over kill, I just want it to last a long time after I am gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job!! looking forward to updates and your very detailed pics. Question where did you get the material that's hog ringed around the edge of the pieces?

I took mine to a local upholstery shop with the TMI covers and foam and had them install.  They had the pliers, the burlap, the filler foam, the table space, the heat guns and the experience.  Well worth a couple hundred bucks to me!

kcmash

I think it is great that you are learning something new. When you sit in those seats you will always remember how you did the work and not how you wrote the check.

When someone asks you who did the work you will smile and say " I did it".

The more the learn the more you will want to learn. Trouble is you never have enough time.

I took mine to a local upholstery shop with the TMI covers and foam and had them install.  They had the pliers, the burlap, the filler foam, the table space, the heat guns and the experience.  Well worth a couple hundred bucks to me!

kcmash
kcmash,

Sure is nothing wrong with that! I bet they look good. I came very close to that scenario myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

One thing that I had troubles with is the Hog ring connection from the List rods, through the foam to the seat springs. I did not line up the list wires to the lower seat frame spring very well. It is like I needed a longer nose, and leg of the ring to penetrate deep into the foam to capture spring wire.

I made some list wires. They may be too big in diameter.

This the second seat bottom-

First Seat bottom. What a pain in the keester to do.

I also found an NOS bottom seat striker. Hard to find.

Next are the seat backs. I may find an upholstery shop to do the sports roof ones. Maybe!

The "Listing" wires need to be much smaller they are usually spring steel so they do not bend and stay bent when you sit on them. Those heavy ones will not sit very well. You need to back up and do again better now than later. They have to do lots of flexing or you will eat a hole in the cover.

If you have watched some of the videos you have to get aggressive to get the rings on the wires. 

I went to our local tech College and took upholstery class. The sewing is the tough part I think.

The "Listing" wires need to be much smaller they are usually spring steel so they do not bend and stay bent when you sit on them. Those heavy ones will not sit very well. You need to back up and do again better now than later. They have to do lots of flexing or you will eat a hole in the cover.

If you have watched some of the videos you have to get aggressive to get the rings on the wires. 

I went to our local tech College and took upholstery class. The sewing is the tough part I think.
Hello David,

Are referencing the ones that I made? If so, I will chuck those for the much smaller rods. Thanks for the advice there!!

All,

I chunked the first set of listing wires due to being too large! Plus with Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs providing some good information, I found some thin brass wire that works really well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back