gasmonkeygarage car 72 FB

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last bidder with respectable feedback maxxed at 111,111.11

Now at $200,000. One of the last bidders shows 83% of his bids to this seller...

Shilled twice over by the production company. Given the profitability of the show, the production company can afford to buy the car to maintain the ruse, build show interest, and avoid criminal charges.

It wouldn't be the first time they fake something of this nature. The Lincoln Mark III they "bought for $5k" was bought for $10k - $5k of the garage's money and $5k of the production company's money, the latter "donation" conveniently not declared on the show.

Of all the reality car shows out there, Gas Monkey - besides being one of the weakest offerings (frankly, only Hemmings My Classic Car, Chasing Classic Cars, and Wheeler Dealers are worth their salt) - seems to have the seediest reputation out there, even preceding the existence of Fast and Loud with the HRM scandal (granted, overblown). They have a tendency to overcompensate through bizarre shock value, of which this is simply another form.

Fact is, anyone else could create an eBay account as described here - http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2010/8/1280866883.html - and outbid the shills to the tune of $2 million - then fail to pay. Nobody would believe a '71-73 Mustang would bring that kind of money, and the repost of the car would embarrass them if the blogging media were to notice the story unfolding.

-Kurt

P.S.: First time I've seen a glued-in trunk floor patch. Looks ugly, but a good quick-fix for a forum member on a budget. Car looks like it had an older paint resto on it that went to the jambs, and someone put the correct labels on it. Too bad they had to screw with it, because it would look stunning in stock configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
One plausible idea that the price went up some(not that stupid over bid amount) is the original family wants the car back. People are willing to pay alot for sentimental when they see a car they know and love up and running drivable again. Seen a number of times over the years.

In no way implying anything like the prices that thing has reached. Once it reached 100k it is apparent someone is shill bidding or you have a bunch of phony bids.

Yeah... I smell a rat. I could see the price getting upward of $50K, based on the popularity of the show... but not much more.

Something's fishy, because I'm sorry - if you can't get a survivor '69 Raven Black Boss 429 to run up past $165K, there's no way in Hell a Gas Monkey Garage '72 Mustang Sportsroof is going to haul more. A 429 Mach 1... a Boss 351... maybe even a Q-code Mach 1 maybe could've scraped $100K. I don't care how many Gas Monkey beer farts were left in the new upholstery.

Besides... the car's a 302... not even an 'H-code.'

Shilled twice over by the production company. Given the profitability of the show, the production company can afford to buy the car to maintain the ruse, build show interest, and avoid criminal charges.

It wouldn't be the first time they fake something of this nature. The Lincoln Mark III they "bought for $5k" was bought for $10k - $5k of the garage's money and $5k of the production company's money, the latter "donation" conveniently not declared on the show.

Of all the reality car shows out there, Gas Monkey - besides being one of the weakest offerings (frankly, only Hemmings My Classic Car, Chasing Classic Cars, and Wheeler Dealers are worth their salt) - seems to have the seediest reputation out there, even preceding the existence of Fast and Loud with the HRM scandal (granted, overblown). They have a tendency to overcompensate through bizarre shock value, of which this is simply another form.

Fact is, anyone else could create an eBay account as described here - http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/letters/blog.pl?/pl/2010/8/1280866883.html - and outbid the shills to the tune of $2 million - then fail to pay. Nobody would believe a '71-73 Mustang would bring that kind of money, and the repost of the car would embarrass them if the blogging media were to notice the story unfolding.

-Kurt

P.S.: First time I've seen a glued-in trunk floor patch. Looks ugly, but a good quick-fix for a forum member on a budget. Car looks like it had an older paint resto on it that went to the jambs, and someone put the correct labels on it. Too bad they had to screw with it, because it would look stunning in stock configuration.
The door jambs did not look like they were repainted when they got the car or now either

as it stands, what do you guys think a realistic price is?

I think for a 1972 Mustang Fastback 302 no options, per NADA $11,000 - $22,000

I think $18k-$22K is fair price range

I'm hoping the top bidder was drunk and thought he typed in $20k instead he typed in $200k

I think you guys are over looking it comes with a gas monkey signed T-shirt, you're just looking at the car, apparently someone out there really wants that T-shirt bad.

I think you guys are over looking it comes with a gas monkey signed T-shirt, you're just looking at the car, apparently someone out there really wants that T-shirt bad.
I still think the "Gas Monkey beer farts in the new upholstery" is the greatest selling point ever. rofl

I still think the "Gas Monkey beer farts in the new upholstery" is the greatest selling point ever. rofl
Free Tee-shirts, and Farts.. now I know what to add to the next thing I sell on E-bay :D

Free Tee-shirts, and Farts.. now I know what to add to the next thing I sell on E-bay :D
rofl rofl rofl

It's things like this that make me question the lingering hope that I had for humanities intelligence (excuse me while I carefully check this post for typos now so I don't seem hypocritical)

I'm wondering if the bidder's young son is logged on his daddy's eBay account and trying to buy a new toy? I just looked at his bid history, 13 of his 17 purchases have been HO scale models from the toy/hobby section. That makes more sense than $200,200.00 for that car.

That's the excuse I would make after I sobered up and realized what I had done.

Jim

I'm wondering if the bidder's young son is logged on his daddy's eBay account and trying to buy a new toy? I just looked at his bid history, 13 of his 17 purchases have been HO scale models from the toy/hobby section. That makes more sense than $200,200.00 for that car.
There was a bidder..H**9 or something...All night last night his bid would be top bid and he had no history to speak of..and he would just put one bid in.."unlike some of the others that put multi bids in"...he put in a 50,000....then 100,000....then 200,000 bid late last night... He must be retracting his bid soon as some one pushes it past his price..cause his name keeps disapearing on the bidding history..I do not know for sure..But i would not dout the price being worked up a bit...I cannot say its gasmonkey or not doing it thou....Mite be company that produces the show doing it for all i know.

Back