Gatormc9's 1971 Vert Adventure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to work on tghe car with my pops for the last two days. That was fun, he helped me get the rear end off along with some other stuff. One of my buddies came by to help me prep a bunch of parts for paint tomorrow. Things are progressing, but I'm still waiting on my new leaf springs and master cylinder. Also, the old leaf springs are a real PITA to get out. The front bolt won't budge. Trying the cut off wheel tomorrow.

Prepped for paint

DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0215.JPG

Rear end removed

DSCN0217.JPG

Stuck bolts

DSCN0218.JPG

DSCN0219.JPG

What do I do with all the old parts. I feel bad throwing them out...but keeping them seems like a waste of space. I guess I'll hold on to them for now.

DSCN0220.JPG

Leaf spring bolts...meet 7 inch cut off wheel! :cool:

MustangPaint_6.JPG

MustangPaint_7.JPG

I like to call this piece "automotive wind chime". :D

MustangPaint_11.JPG

One issue I did run into today is that I apparently screwed up the guides for the cam bolts that are welded to the frame. I'll be taking an air hammer to them tomorrow to try and straighten them. This is definitely a set back, but it's only metal...it can be fixed, right?!?!

Left and Right Sides

MustangPaint_1.JPG

MustangPaint_2.JPG

Back at it tomorrow (when I wake up, hopefully without a hang over). Happy New Year to everyone! ::beer:: ::chili::

My whole life I've pretty much only worked on cars when they were broken and needed to get back on the road so someone could make it to work the next day. Most of that was spent laying in the dirt or on a blanket helping my dad when I was a kid...so having a lift and plenty of time is a big enjoyable change for me.

Started tearing down the front suspension today. I didn't make as much progress today as I'd hoped. Stubborn bolts and a couple of parts runs slowed me down a bit. The strut arm bolt may have been the toughest bolt I've ever had to deal with...but I eventually won!

Painted the fuel tank straps.

Took off the front right and left drum assemblies.

Got the spring and spindle out of the passenger side

Old parts to be replaced.

New parts for the near future

And finally, a shot of my messy garage and one soon to be sweet Stang!
Not sure if you are going for the original look, but I think that the gas tank straps are supposed to be Black.

@F117 - I'm not super concerned about original look right now, more about things looking decent since I had to take them off anyway. Now that you mentioned though, I may go ahead and slap a coat or two of black on them.

@Droptop - Yeah, I'm waiting on my buddy with a welder to come by and help with that. I got them straight"er", how perfect do they need to be to be functional?

In the mean time, I got the rear end prepped and painted. I wish I would have snapped a picture with it dirty...man, it was caked in filth! When I cleaned it up, it appeared the third member use to be red, so... :D

2014-01-01 12.48.19.jpg

2014-01-01 12.50.11.jpg

2014-01-01 13.33.55.jpg

DSCN0246.JPG

While waiting for the welder and parts, I decided to look at the old 302...it was feeling neglected. I drained the coolant and pulled the radiator hose to find this surprise!

DSCN0250.JPG

DSCN0252.JPG

That was enough for me, so I decided to make some changes.

DSCN0254.JPG

DSCN0258.JPG

The alternator wasn't working, so it got replaced too.

DSCN0259.JPG

I plan on finishing that up today, changing the plugs (maybe compression test while they are out. Then new fluids and filters and check the timing. I'm hoping a heavier weight oil will clear up the ticking coming from what I suspect is a lifter on the passenger side. If we get the welding done today I can start reassembling the front end. :D

I finally got to work on the Mustang some more this weekend. Unfortunately, my two week vacation was over, so I had to head back to work last week...seriously slows down the progress. Since my last post, I finished up replacing the water pump, alt, thermostat housing, and associated hoses and such.

This weekend I had a buddy come over with a welder and we did the best we could to fix the cam bolt brackets.

2014JAN12_5.JPG

2014JAN12_9.JPG

Today I was able to begin reassembling the front suspension. I got most of the driver's side done, including spring and shock.

2014JAN12_13.JPG

The passenger side is still waiting on the spring and shock.

2014JAN12_15.JPG

I also installed the new idler arm.

2014JAN12_16.JPG

I'm still waiting on the new leaf springs to show up, it's been almost a month since I ordered them but they are supposed to be here this week. It hasn't really held me up yet, but it will if they don't show up before the weekend. If they do show up, I'm hoping I can take it for a spin around the block by next Sunday. :D

Long time, no post. Work, travel, and Roller Derby get in the way of working on the Mustang quite a bit. Fortunately, I was able to make a little progress this weekend.

New Leaf Springs

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_5.JPG

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_6.JPG

New Convertible Boot (btw, what were they thinking when the designed this thing?!?!? the attachment method of plastic under trim leaves a lot to be desired)

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_12.JPG

New Shop press to install the new wheel studs into my new hubs. :D

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_10.JPG

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_8.JPG

After all this, the fun started...while trying to change out the from brake hose that probably hasn't been removed in over 40 years...

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_1.JPG

So, I have my new stainless steel brake lines on order. I guess they needed to be changed anyway, but I was hoping to wait until I had the motor out.

I also started working on the front driver's side brakes. Unfortunately, after putting it all together, I realized I'm going to have to take it back apart. Brownie points to anyone who can look at these pictures and tell me where I went wrong.

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_15.JPG

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_14.JPG

Mustang_2014-02-09_18-33_17.JPG

That's it for this weekend, and the next. The weekend after that I have a three day weekend to dedicate to the car. I'm hoping (small goal) I can at least go for a spin around the block by 2/23.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great progress on an already great looking convertible. My first goals were very similar to yours. New brakes, suspension, and I replaced my entire fuel system. Keep up the good work and we love the pictures!

Great work.

You used the right side adjuster on the left side:)
Not according to the shop manual. It is the correct adjuster...this is actually worse than that...lol

OK, shoes are backwards?? I can't remember which side the bigger one goes on but I would think the trailing side rather than in front.
No, I'm pretty sure I read before that the big one goes forward, but I should check that. The actual problem is in the second picture of the brakes, you'll notice the "window" that you use to adjust the adjuster is not lined up. It turns out that the dust shields are DS and PS. I built the whole thing up with the wrong shield.

Exciting times are here! First things first, last weekend I made some serious progress on Friday and Saturday.

New stainless steel front brake lines

DSCN0400.JPG

Rear end back on with new shocks

DSCN0413.JPG

Drive shaft back in (had to put an entire bottle of gear oil in to top off the diff)

DSCN0416.JPG

New U-bolts/hardware

DSCN0420.JPG

New fuel tank installed

DSCN0428.JPG

Rear end complete

DSCN0424.JPG

Unfortunately, my new master cylinder didn't come with a push rod. I destroyed the retaining clip getting the old push rod out. These aren't available locally, so I wasn't able to drive the car last weekend. Instead, I ordered a new adjustable push rod from Jegs that I got on Thursday

DSCN0435.JPG

Friday night the MC went back in and I bled the brakes. This morning, I adjusted all the brakes and installed the wheels and hubcaps. I lowered the lift and sat the car on the ground for the first time since November this morning! :D

So, as for the first drive. I tightened all my belts and did my last minute checks. While sitting cold, the trans showed plenty of fluid. I fired her up and put it in drive and...nothing! Gave it gas an it crept forward an inch at most. Checked the dipstick and it had no fluid. Added a quart and it moved two inches, added another quart and it clunked into gear but still very weak. Two more quarts later and it finally got to the sweet spot on the dipstick.

I pulled it out onto the drive way and went back and forth a few times and things seemed pretty good. The brakes are still soft (need to be bled again) and the steering is a little shake (needs a new rag joint), but it was such a beautiful day I just had to drive.

Here is a picture of me taking a good friend and her mom (the former owners) for a spin.

DSCN0436.JPG

I've made several runs around the neighborhood now and I am smiling ear to ear! Phase 1 is complete, she is driving again for the first time in 15 years! Still a lot of work to do, but this was a satisfying moment in the process for sure.

2014-03-01 11.24.37.jpg

20140301_105635.jpg

20140301_105553.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back