Gatormc9's 1971 Vert Adventure

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things got delayed, but it is finally happening.  The car got moved from storage to begin the restomod progress!  I wish I could do more of the work myself, I just don't have the time or the place to work on it.  I can't wait to finally get to drive this car like it is meant to be driven.  Way too many years in a garage or storage.

Restoration update, two weeks in to the work.  First week was slow because of memorial day and vacation things.  I am not in a hurry so it doesn't bother me.  I know I  picked the right guy to work on the car, because he immediately spotted problems with the car related to the accident and previous rust issues.  If you go back in this thread, you can see the car was hit pretty good.  It's apparent that they did not fix the car correctly, and once he pointed it out...it is obvious now.

From the shop -  " In one of the photos you can see that the rear valance pan is totally misaligned and not the correct contour to meet the quarter panel— which I believe is also a problem as it looks like it was pieced and the pinchweld seam is not right."

Bottom of the rear quarter that was improperly seamed at the curve and not installed at the pinch weld

Bottom of the front fender.  Plastic filler at the front (?)  maybe a patch piece.

Nearly a ⅝” gap at the bottom of the door to the rocker panel on both sides of the car.  

His suggestion is to order new sheet metal and doors and get the car done right, he is also going to strip all the paint to make sure there are not other issues .  I have the money to do it right, so I am taking his advice.  He is going to remove the front fenders this week and start working the shock tower rust. I also told him to weld up the antenna hole because we stream all of our music and I think the car will look cleaner without an antenna.  :)

Sure would be nice to see a modern Coyote/Boss 302 drivetrain swap in this. Talk about a "WOW" factor! Anyone here ever seen one on a 7173?

Couple months into the restoration, and things are going well.  There was more rust involved than I expected, but the car is almost 50 years old and it's been around the beach it's whole life, so I guess that is expected.  We've found a lot of bad repair work from the previous accident and previous rust repair.  Here are some progress pics.

Cowl rust and repair pics

Other front end repairs

The front end is pretty much fixed now, all the rust has been repaired/replaced.  The new doors arrived (old ones had a lot of rust repair, done wrong, cheaper to replace).  He is starting on the rear of the car, and as expected there is a lot of bad repair work from the accident.

I'm spending a lot of money, but the work is quality, and when it is all said in done, I am going to enjoy driving this car all over the US.

Back