Gauge Panel ground

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
I'm dealing with the "dim" light problem that's common on our Mustangs. I have even switched over to LEDs and my dash is still pretty dim. Where are the grounds located??

i ran a new ground for my dash, installed LED's ......i even bypassed the dimmer knob and have a full 12v to the lights

and it is still pretty dim, but it is better than original.....

although the turn signals look great with white LED's behind the original green plastic....they are bright and matted looking....

anyone know if there are lights in the heater control ??? mine is dark, but i don't remember there being any bulbs behind there.......

I have LEDs in mine, and it is dim as well, even after removing the blue filters it barely improved things.

I've replaced the voltage regulator and the dashboard regulator, and there was no change. I've also tried reducing the load on the electrical system by switching to more LEDs and there was no change, when i test the bulbs with a voltmeter they do get near full voltage but they are just dim. I've tried white paint inside the instrument cluster as well, again no change

I actually removed the LEDs from the turn signals because they were too bright and would blind me at night.

I think the problem is the design of the sockets for the lights they are placed too far inward behind the gauge faces and most of the light ends up obscured.

I always find myself wanting to go back into the dash board and try different things but its such a pain to pull the steering wheel and start taking everything apart just to be disappointing.

I'm really not happy with the color of the new LEDs i wanted the green hue to match but the new LEDs are blue compared to the original bulbs and filters. between the yellow of the incandescent bulb and the blue filter you get green.

----

yes the heater control has a bulb in it.

you have to take the unit out of the center of the dash to access it. its a PITA.

you actually can get the socket for the bulb out by reaching your hand back there and twisting it, but you will never be able to reinstall it that way. its just impossible without seeing to get the alignment just right, plus things will be in the way, and it will just drive you nuts better to disconnect things and remove it. when you pull the radio out you will swear there is enough clearance to get at the blub but it won't work. you will end up taking the heater controls out completely.

----

you have to take the unit out of the center of the dash to access it. its a PITA.

you actually can get the socket for the bulb out by reaching your hand back there and twisting it, but you will never be able to reinstall it that way. its just impossible without seeing to get the alignment just right, plus things will be in the way, and it will just drive you nuts better to disconnect things and remove it. when you pull the radio out you will swear there is enough clearance to get at the blub but it won't work. you will end up taking the heater controls out completely.
thanks, i think i have to pull it anyway, becasue i am not getting any heat.....do you know if the heat control ( it allows the hot water to run thru the heater core) is vacuum or a wire moving a valve?

I always find myself wanting to go back into the dash board and try different things but its such a pain to pull the steering wheel and start taking everything apart just to be disappointing.
i don't have to pull my steering wheel to get the dash out, but it is a tilt (out of a 72 Cougar, but that is a whole nother story ;) ), maybe that is why ?

I can get my gauge cluster out of my 72 without removing the wheel. Its tricky but can be done. Just remember to take the gauge lens off before trying or you'll scratch it. Oh and I don't have a tilt column. You just have to get it at the right angle... it can be a pain though.

Did you run your new ground off the "post" behind the fuel gauge?

----

thanks, i think i have to pull it anyway, becasue i am not getting any heat.....do you know if the heat control ( it allows the hot water to run thru the heater core) is vacuum or a wire moving a valve?

i don't have to pull my steering wheel to get the dash out, but it is a tilt (out of a 72 Cougar, but that is a whole nother story ;) ), maybe that is why ?
You should have a heater control valve mounted in your heater hose(in the engine compartment,passenger side firewall)It will be vacum operated.

yes you can remove the panel and get to the gauge cluster without a tilt wheel and without removing the wheel, however it is about 100% harder and your more likely to scratch or damage something. when i had a grant wheel it was easier since there was a 3" extension to the column and the wheel was smaller. but when you have a stock steering wheel and a regular column its just a big pain, your better off getting out your wheel puller and popping the column nut out.

the worst thing would be forcing the panel out then snapping the turn signal arm or cam by accidentally putting pressure on it

Have you guys seen ole pony's post re dim dash lights?

Go to 7173MUSTANGS.com / Tech Forums / Maintenance and Repair / Fix For Dim 71 to 73 Mustang Dash/Instrument Panel Lights

It is the reason I found the site. He has posted some great pics and info. I have the same problem on my car so I'm going to try this in the spring.

Back