Gearvendors overdirve install in a 73 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
Years ago I learned of the gear vendors overdrive. I really liked the idea of having an OD unit on the Mustang. My first mustang had a 2.73 rear end. It was a little sluggish off the line but it had an absolutly great passing gear. I replaced it with a 3.25 which moved better off the line but took away a bit of the passing gear. When that car was wrecked I replaced it with my current drop top. At some point I found a 3.5 with limited slip. It is a LOT of fun off the line but freeway driving means high RPMS.

There is a never ending debate on going GV or AOD. I like my c6. I had it upgraded through the years. It's strong and bites and is reliable. The AOD intrigued me. The shifter would be a little funky. It has a nice tall overdirve of .67. This would net me either higher top speed or the ability to go with steeper gears in the back. But the passing gear was the kicker. With the GV a downshift from 3 high to 2 high would simulate the fun days of my 2.73.

Anyways, I don't want to get into which optoin is 'better'. There are always compromises.

After years of looking I found a used GV c6 OD on craigslist for 650 bucks. It was a couple of hundred miles from home but I enlisted some friends to pick it up for me. (another story).

So here we go. Installing a GV OD on a 73 mustang convert with a c6, headers and dual exhaust.

Back