Got the 351C overhaul started

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at this point the machining costs are sort of worst-case, assuming a need a bore instead of just honing, and that I need to have the rods reconditioned (which I really don't think I do). I prefer to use the pessimistic numbers for planning, it makes it easier to take when they don't happen. But regardless, I'm still going with new pistons, they're less than $300 for a set including rings. The new cam shaft was always a given, and of course that means you have to replace lifters, etc.. I would also, if I were you, check out your valve stem clearances, that sort of thing to make sure you don't need new valve guides. Not a real expensive thing, but something that can pay off down the road.

I would think that at a minimum, you should replace the pistons rings and all the bearings even if you don't need boring out. Was the taper in the piston bores checked out, as well as the physical condition of the pistons themselves?
Excellent points, Dan. Thanks for the discussion. I still haven't pulled the motor - I got hung up on the harmonic balancer (see my other, knucklehead, post), but I finally got it and the water pump off tonight. I'll definitely be checking the cylinder taper and examining the pistons, as well as replacing the bearings. The shop kids will measure valve stem clearances and everything head related. I may still go with one-piece valves and some other upgrades.

As soon as I get the engine out, I'll post what I see. Thanks for the dialogue and ideas/reminders. :)

Doc

OK, had my sit-down with my machinist. Overall, no REAL surprises. The crank needs to be turned .010 under on both rod & main journals (not a taper problem, but some scratches on the journals that wouldn't polish out). The crank has no runout at all, so it's nice & straight. The bores were just about .010 over, so I'm going to have it bored out .020. The heads were just out of spec for flatness, so they'll be milled both down just a bit. The rods are fine, no reconditioning needed. The block faces are also fine, no milling needed. For valves, about 1/2 of them (both exhaust and intake) need to be replaced due to worn stems, so I'm just going to replace all of them (and they're going to put in new . And best of all, they found a burnt exhaust valve on #4 that had really worn its seat out. That explains the miss I could never get rid of, and confirmed my suspicion that I had a burnt valve. The worn seat's not a problem, they're going to put in hardened exhaust seats anyway.

So, we're on track for getting the machine work done in the next 3 weeks. So, I'll have April to get it reassembled and put back in before car show season starts.

Well, took the pistons down to the machinist yesterday and had a chance to look over what he's gotten done. The heads look EXCELLENT! Valves are nice and tight (no wiggle room anymore), the seats are perfect, just very nice. He'll be doing the block work this week, and with a bit of luck, I'll be able to pick it all up the end of next week. I can hardly wait to get this put together & fired up (maybe mid-March on that).

Doc - IMO, not ever a good idea to reuse push rods. New lifters, new rods.

Mark
I agree. For the price of push rods and lifters are going to cost it might save you money down the line. They might all still look great but sometimes you just can't see a weakness. Better safe than "AH S@#T"

Thanks, guys. I've got the new lifters already, and now looking at rods and maybe valves. I appreciate the input! :)

And Dan, I can't wait to get to the stage you're at. I've finally tracked down a cherry picker and hope to pull the block out this weekend. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Doc

WOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Brought a Jeep-load of parts back today from the machinist! Got the pistons & rods, a replacement harmonic balancer, the heads and a couple more odds-n-ends. parts that the machinist can order but I can't. The heads are a work of art!

All that's left to do: I'm having the block decked (it turned out one deck was slightly warped, just enough to be concerned about) and we're going to take the decks down enough to give me about a 9.5:1 compression ratio, but not enough to require octane booster or have valve interference issues. The block's already bored. The crank is also out being turned, and I should be able to bring the rest home on Friday!!!!!

WOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Brought a Jeep-load of parts back today from the machinist! Got the pistons & rods, a replacement harmonic balancer, the heads and a couple more odds-n-ends. parts that the machinist can order but I can't. The heads are a work of art!

All that's left to do: I'm having the block decked (it turned out one deck was slightly warped, just enough to be concerned about) and we're going to take the decks down enough to give me about a 9.5:1 compression ratio, but not enough to require octane booster or have valve interference issues. The block's already bored. The crank is also out being turned, and I should be able to bring the rest home on Friday!!!!!
Fantastic:D I know you are happy

Back