Got the new Intro wheels in and on

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the classic wheels and tire size on these cars and on all Muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. It's all part of the mystic of these cars and what draws people to them. I know the younger generation is all about these hoops and low profile tires. but not on these cars. With that said It's your car do what you like. I'm sure my Dad didn't like me putting Cragers on my 66 Mustang GT back in the day. He never said anything except "I hope you didn't put those on my credit card."

It is not a generation thing, we were or were almost in high school when the 123's were built

The wheels and tires look great. Has just the right stance.

If you have a list of wheel/tire/backspace and offset recommendations, I would be extremely interested.

You know, I typically hate big wheels/low profile tires on muscle cars, and if you showed me a picture of those not on the car I'd think you were crazy, but on the car they look great. I've debated what I'm going to do with mine, I gave in when I wanted something that would handle on my TA and went with 265/40-17 on the front and 305/35-18 on the back...

Do you have more pics?

What wheels are those?

The 0 offset on the front doesn't surprise me, but the +6mm on the back does.

The 25.x" tall tire on the back surprises me also I would have thought something more like a 26.5-27.5, 305/35 or 285 or 295/40 would have fit better... but I can't argue with the pics. Is there room for a taller tire in the back and a wider tire in both the front and the back? If you'd have to move the wheel in or out which way? (I've been trying to collect what fits on these cars and I've been surprised to find that most people don't know what offset/backspacing they ended up with,so you having actual numbers is helpful)

Last edited by a moderator:
The beauty of changing wheels is if down the road for what ever reason you decide you don't like them you can always put it back to original. It's not like some of the more extensive modifications that people do. I did at one point put the spinner hubcaps and steel wheels back on my 66 GT (When I came to my senses) and when it came to selling the car it made a difference.

We will get more pics taken and posted but right now trying to get her ready for the Good-Guys show which starts tomorrow and happens to be less than 5 miles from our home
Have fun at the show!

We also thought about 27" or so on the rear but these were in stock and we can always get a lower rear end so we can burn these off and go taller. The 3.0 rear end does not let us light these up but sure is nice for driving
(in a Schwarzenegger accent)

Needs Maor Powa!

;-)

Yes, you could go a little taller or wider in the back but not sure if both. Right now we like the way the outside edge lines up. Will have to measure to be sure but I think there is about 1 1/2" left inbound before you would hit the sway bar end.
On the back, really that much??? huh... I'm starting to wonder what something like a 325 would look like back there. Might just go well with her big butt...

If you have a list of wheel/tire/backspace and offset recommendations, I would be extremely interested.
Me?

That's an extremely open ended question, i'd start with can you narrow down the look you want to go for, tire profiles/wheel diameters and what kind of stance do you like?

I'm extremely anal retentive about wheel fitment. I used to work at a speed shop and would hate the manufacturer's wheel fitment guides because they would typically get you something that was safe but didn't necessary get you the best stance and often left you with tons of room left over or worse, rubbing.

The fact is that with a little measuring you typically figure out what will fit quite quickly, and I had a reputation for getting stance just right and fitting _large_ tires/wheels under cars.

WRT to these cars, unfortunately, mine is a basket case and it's not really sitting somewhere where I could measure it easily (it's parked on a hill without working parking brakes or shifter so I have wheel chocks under it...), so I've mostly been collecting information in case I run across a deal on something I would like that I think would look good on the car before I have the time/place to measure mine out.

That said, it looks like most get a good fit with a 0 offset front and rear, though based on what 71mach1lady said above I'm wondering if you want to stick something big under the back if something closer to a -13 to 20mm offset in the back would let you tuck a MUCH bigger tire back there. If there is really about 1.5" on the inside with her 285s, then spacing the wheels in that much would allow you to stick a 325 in there without rubbing on either side.

Personally, from the one picture that was posted (my opinion may change with different pics from different angles) if it was my car I would have shot for tucking those tires/wheels in about a 1/4" more, or a 10.5 or 11" wide rim tucked in about 1/2" more and a 295 or 305 wide tire (I like the 305/35-18's on the back of my trans am even though I'm not a fan of big wheels/low profile tires, but those fit about like her rear tires fit, I'd like to tuck them in about another 1/4" but there was no way to do it with off the shelf parts, at some point I'm going to machine custom spacers to mount those how I want them)

, I'd like to tuck them in about another 1/4" but there was no way to do it with off the shelf parts, at some point I'm going to machine custom spacers to mount those how I want them)
Thats exactly what I did with mine..18 x 9.5 285-40-18

I had custom HUB CENTRIC spacers made to get the wheel spaced to my specs

IMG_0415.JPG

IMG_0392.JPG

Here are a few more shots of our Mach. Sunday is the slow day at the Good-Guys show and Steve got there early, We didn't notice until looking at the pictures that the front spoiler seems to have a wobble in it. The one picture he missed is straight on from the back

2mqj86c.jpg

5f3mt0.jpg

2z8u7sz.jpg

mm54lu.jpg

91b8rn.jpg

1ok5tg.jpg

35d6fk8.jpg

aost5i.jpg

ip2t82.jpg

11140nb.jpg

Yes, you could go a little taller or wider in the back but not sure if both. Right now we like the way the outside edge lines up. Will have to measure to be sure but I think there is about 1 1/2" left inbound before you would hit the sway bar end.
On the back, really that much??? huh... I'm starting to wonder what something like a 325 would look like back there. Might just go well with her big butt...
Finally got a chance to measure and with the stock sway bar there is just under 1" from the tire to the sway bar. A larger sway bar will reduce that so we are quite happy with the size and offset that we went with. Sticks so nice to the road

mnf2a.jpg

2v16jh5.jpg

Looks better with the better pictures. Now I wonder if it was mine if I'd be trying to tuck the rears in a little more or space the front out a little (if it's even possible without hitting the fenders)...

Of course, all this tends to look different in person...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, I really dig your car.

My spoiler does the same wobble by the way, only more pronounced and on the passenger side.

Never knew what caused it. :/

Back