Grabber Lime Restoration Update - Exhaust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 429 CJs: Grabber Lime, Grabber Blue, White, Dark Green Metallic (2), Pewter, Red Convertible 1972: Sprints (3), 1973: Pink Convertible (2)
Sorry folks that it has been so long since my last post on the 429CJ restoration. Life has a habit of getting in the way at times. Anyways, trying to finish up this restoration so I can start working on the next one. Powertrain was installed last fall (almost a year ago) and been working on the cooler lines, vacuum lines, heater hoses, etc. Working on the exhaust system currently and of course each piece has to be moved and tweaked to get it sit right. Am down to the last pipe (over the axle) on the drivers side. A little hard to do by yourself, and hit my head many times on the pipes moving them around! Anyways, here is what it looks like so far, once I get everything in place I will have it clamped and welded. Then it is time to drop it down and fire up the engine. Hoping to be on the road with it in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_3673.jpg
    IMG_3673.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3674.jpg
    IMG_3674.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3675.jpg
    IMG_3675.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3676.jpg
    IMG_3676.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3677.jpg
    IMG_3677.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3678.jpg
    IMG_3678.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3679.jpg
    IMG_3679.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3680.jpg
    IMG_3680.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3681.jpg
    IMG_3681.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3682.jpg
    IMG_3682.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3683.jpg
    IMG_3683.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3684.jpg
    IMG_3684.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
Sorry folks that it has been so long since my last post on the 429CJ restoration. Life has a habit of getting in the way at times. Anyways, trying to finish up this restoration so I can start working on the next one. Powertrain was installed last fall (almost a year ago) and been working on the cooler lines, vacuum lines, heater hoses, etc. Working on the exhaust system currently and of course each piece has to be moved and tweaked to get it sit right. Am down to the last pipe (over the axle) on the drivers side. A little hard to do by yourself, and hit my head many times on the pipes moving them around! Anyways, here is what it looks like so far, once I get everything in place I will have it clamped and welded. Then it is time to drop it down and fire up the engine. Hoping to be on the road with it in the spring.
The best I've seen! Fantastic job! Better looking than new!

Wow! You’ve actually done it, you have taken the car back to the year 1971. Now if we can find a way to transport ourselves back in time… I think the closest we can get is when we drive these beautiful machines. It certainly takes me back when I drive mine. 😊

Will clearance between exhaust and rear sway bar be OK?
When it is on the ground, it will have more room as the suspension is hanging right now. I thought the same thing on the mid pipes for the exhause vs the driveshaft, but then someone reminded me about the suspension hanging.

Very, Very, nice work. Definity alot of hard work and it shows. It will show very well if that is your plan. Thank you for the update and look forward to more when possible.
My plan is to drive it. I got carried away with the detail, but it really didn't take anymore time to paint it the right colors.

Hey Mike a while back you inquired on the alternator splash shield which is a unique item on your 429. I found this...

https://www.deadnutson.com/1971-429-s-cj-alternator-splash-shield-d1zz-10317-a/
I saw those from Jack at Dead-Nuts on. They are exact. Funny part is when I looked at the car that I am currently restoring, it does not have the holes where it would attach. Turns out not all of them had those pieces. Now I am trying to figure out what the cut off date was for those. Thanks for sharing, it reminded me that I need to finish researching it!!!

Back