Graverobbers sheetmetal in GA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear you had a great experience with the shop.

They are not a restorations shop for sure only body panel replacement. The truck that Clay took down has been sitting in his shop for months, lol. He is using it for fill in only.

Graverobbers had a difficult time getting it back where it  needed to be after the first shop screwed up the job. They had to cut the new cab corners back out and take sections out and move lots of things around to get the doors to align. They did a decent job Clay was happy he did not have all the rust, grinder grit and slag all over his shop. They did plug weld everything and the bed sides just bolt on so no problem there.

Too bad AMD does not do mustangs. They are a classy shop for metal replacement on GM and Chrysler and they make the panels. They spot weld the panels they have the really expensive computer controlled spot welders that allows them to do that legal. No drilling MIG or TIG just some tacks and then spot weld like the factory on JIGS built for the vehicle.

Will see some of their work on a 67 Camaro that Clay is doing next. Will have every panel replaced except the firewall / cowl where the VIN# is located. He is shipping the car down and back and not even going to visit or check on their work. You don't have to.

He is just getting a 67 Pontiac Firebird HO in primer right now after full pan, trunk, quarters, inner and outer fenders, radiator support and rust repair around the windows. He wishes he had sent it to them to do. 

Clay has a two man shop so when someone else can do the metal work cheaper than he can that is a real cost savings. He sends the vehicle and marks up the cost 15% and still cheaper than he can do it.

When you go to any shop to get work done if they say 8 weeks figure on 16 weeks. Everybody hits issues not seen and has to have more time. If you are on that tight of a schedule you are in trouble, lol.

BTW I know some think that there is no way they can do work that cheap. I know one Mustang collector that has his on full time man doing only his cars. I think he pays him $25.00 an hour and not taxes. The worker supplies the place to work, tools and knowledge. The builder does not search for any parts and the owner supplies everything. I have viewed several of his R code cars, has probably 25 and they are perfect when they come home.

When you do go to one of the expensive shops the guy who owns the place is probably one of a few that knows anything. The ones doing the grunt work and eating the bondo dust are probably high school drop outs. That does not mean they don't do good work owner just makes tons of money instead of a living like the workers.

One thing that runs rates up is rent and taxes. If you have not rent and if like here taxes less than a thousand dollars a year you can have cheaper rates. I know one shop that was here for a few months was paying $8,500 a month for rent alone. There are great shops out there that are reasonable and will do a ground up in around 500 hours.

Just wanting to revisit this very old post. Now with the new shop completed I have turned some of my attention to the 67 GT. It is tired! Did a budget driver resto in 1993 on this car just to drive it an enjoy it. Some periodic shows and did ok, but not the focus. This car has now sat for 9 years untouched. The sail panel seem between roof and quarter has some bubbling and the car suffered a big passenger rear quarter hit in its life and still shows some of these signs in the floor and rails. I called Grave Robbers to see if they were still in business from working with them in 2010 on the 72 Mach. Still are and same owner. I am going to send him some pictures of the 67 to get his estimate on metal work. Planning the full floor/Trunk/Inner rocker assembly with probably a front drivers side frame rail. Will need tail panel and reveal between decklid and rear glass from the old repairs. I will start a post in the appropriate section of the forum for the 67, but I am going to give Grave Robbers another shot. I still prefer to farm out metal to one shop and then final paint to another.

Back