GREAT DEAL ON SPRAY GUN

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Thanks!

I wouldn't have a clue how to use it though! LOL

I saw those the other day. Hot rod or mustang monthly has a coupon in there for 9.99. Have you used it yet? How's it spray? Ok for primer. Thanks Kevin

I saw those the other day. Hot rod or mustang monthly has a coupon in there for 9.99. Have you used it yet? How's it spray? Ok for primer. Thanks Kevin
Look at the reviews on the product page..Looks to be a-ok for primers ! I will be using mine shortly

I had one of these a few years ago and it did great for primers. I also sprayed the engine compartment black paint with great results. Hurricane Katrina flooded & ruined the gun.

Today I bought another one and the smaller version detail gun too. I also bought several other things I could have done without - thanks Scott! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the reviews on the product page..Looks to be a-ok for primers ! I will be using mine shortly
1.5 is too small for primers, isnt it?... i usually use 1.8 and it is the smallest nose they recomend arround here... As for finish,i wouldnt recomend this kinda guns for the car... maybe interior parts or mechanical stuff is the best way to take advantage of this sale :p

1.5 is too small for primers, isnt it?... i usually use 1.8 and it is the smallest nose they recomend arround here... As for finish,i wouldnt recomend this kinda guns for the car... maybe interior parts or mechanical stuff is the best way to take advantage of this sale :p
Nope spi epoxy primer as per tech manual 1.4 to 1.5

Spi high build primer 1.5 to 2.0

All the clears 1.4 to 1.5

1.5 is a good all around tip

Aha...great to know that specs Scott.... Here thje materials are a little bit different, especially in preparation...

It is really hard to find an epoxy primer that is not also filler for example

I shot my Boss 351 with the $39 gun (looks identical to the one on sale for $12, same specs, 1.5 tip etc.) Bearing in mind this is a Metallic paint too ! (Acapulco Blue) AND I shot the primers, base and clears with this same gun. Any areas depicting orange peel were due to my shortcomings, not the gun's (LOL). I swear by it, but I do lust after one of those expensive guns they show on the tv shows,that have a fan spray of super width.

undercarriage036.jpg

This was shot after I wet sanded and buffed, but I did all sanding and buffing by hand only, no orbitals or power tools, and I was looking for a realistic factory-like finish, not the super wet look possible with clear coats. Yes, it was a lot of work, but I couldn't have done it that way if this gun laid down a crappy finish. I'm just a hobbyist and not a pro by any means. I know, I know, "that's obvious...." lol.

I going to get one or two for that price.

:idea:

Hell why clean them at that price.

::laugh::

Well I'm not that lazy.

If Harbor Freight can sell them for $10 a pop, then how much does it cost to make them (in China) and ship them to the US?

Some of the other name brand guns are also made in China and sell for $200+. :exclamation:

They used to sell these for about $59 when they first came out. As they released newer models, they kept lowering the price of the this older one, and it was $39 for a while, then $29 for a long while. They seem to be blowing them out with the coupon to get rid of their old inventory and get you into the store (loss leader idea.)

This is what they mean by CHINA "dumping" products here. But, I don't see any similar bargains on good old American brands, and even those are being made offshore too. So, WTF? ("who's the fool")

They used to sell these for about $59 when they first came out. As they released newer models, they kept lowering the price of the this older one, and it was $39 for a while, then $29 for a long while. They seem to be blowing them out with the coupon to get rid of their old inventory and get you into the store (loss leader idea.)

This is what they mean by CHINA "dumping" products here. But, I don't see any similar bargains on good old American brands, and even those are being made offshore too. So, WTF? ("who's the fool")
Yeah, I think I paid $59 for the first one. I should post pics of it since I still have it.

I have bought just about every gun from Harbor freight and I recommend avoiding most of them except for the link posted below, this set is by far a better gun than the rest that Harbor freight sells, there good for primer and base and clear coat, this set comes with both 1.4 and 1.8 tips for the larger gun, 1.4 tip for basecoat and clearcoat and thin primers and 1.8 for high fill primers.

Another great gun for the money is the Astro-Pneumatic Euro gun for $90 to $120 (see links below),the last three digits in the part number is the size of the tip for the Astro gun, all around good size is a 1.4 to 1.5 tip, I have a lot of experience with painting YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY A CHEAP GUN !

those Harbor freight $20 to $40 guns leak at the bottom of the cup just to name one issue, believe me Ive tried them all!

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-ASTEUROHV103-EuroPro-Plastic/dp/B0040Y301S

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-ASTEUROHV105-EuroPro-Plastic/dp/B00407QGZC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1324012789&sr=1-1-catcorr

I have bought just about every gun from Harbor freight and I recommend avoiding most of them except for the link posted below, this set is by far a better gun than the rest that Harbor freight sells, there good for primer and base and clear coat, this set comes with both 1.4 and 1.8 tips for the larger gun, 1.4 tip for basecoat and clearcoat and thin primers and 1.8 for high fill primers.

Another great gun for the money is the Astro-Pneumatic Euro gun for $90 to $120 (see links below),the last three digits in the part number is the size of the tip for the Astro gun, all around good size is a 1.4 to 1.5 tip, I have a lot of experience with painting YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY A CHEAP GUN !

those Harbor freight $20 to $40 guns leak at the bottom of the cup just to name one issue, believe me Ive tried them all!

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-ASTEUROHV103-EuroPro-Plastic/dp/B0040Y301S

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-ASTEUROHV105-EuroPro-Plastic/dp/B00407QGZC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1324012789&sr=1-1-catcorr
I have a lot of experience too..over 25 years to be exact..Would I use any of those guns to paint a car ? NO..I'm going to reach for my trusty sata jets. But for hobbyists on a budget which most of the guys are here..There's no need to spend big bucks for a gun that their going to use a few times in the course of there restoration. I disagree about using cheap guns for primers..It's primer.. thats going to be sanded blocked..The cheap guns are very good these days & I always wrap some teflon tape around the threads where the cup attaches..Never had one leak.

I also wouldn´t use any 10 buck gun to give the final layers on my cars... Not because itis cheap but for the fact that you have to trust your gun to do those final layers.... I use SAGOLA guns and my 1.4 one is the queen there... I keep it as clean as new etc... I love this gun most of all because i trust it a lot and i know how to paint with it...

In the Uruguayan market there are several cheap guns... i believe the brand is Flourish... I have 3 or 4 of them because when i started with this i couldnt afford a 800 buck spray gun.... well...that cheap ones compare with the ones i´m used to use now are garbage... the main issue is the shape of the drop shape... in here we call that "orange skin" when your paint seems to be too thick...That makes you wetsand A LOT and that is not good not only for the ammount of time you have to do this extra work but for all the material you are throwing away...

I think this 9 buck gun worth a try definitely but as i said before, if i were you guys and you are starting to do paintjobs, i wouldn´t start with this super cheap gun because if you do not handle the technique very well, a cheap gun wont make things any easier...

It would be great to get one of our pro members and friends to try one and then give a objective resumate on this gun... I´m sure this can work well for some minor parts anyway so, for the ammount of money that this costs, it is worth a try...

You guys in america should have a semi pro line of sprayguns for kinda 100 bucks, isnt it?... Well.. that is what i´d look for to start... a good but not a "ferrari" spray gun! :p

Latest posts

Back