Grey smoke...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
So I recently replaced the starter solenoid, changed the oil to full synthetic and I crank it up after about 1 month and it blows grey/blue smoke. It's also idle choppy up and down every couple of seconds. Never happened until now. Any ideas?

False alarm. Lol after I drove it about 10 minutes the smoke went away and drove perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-torque the intake manifold using the specified sequence. Blue=oil, white=coolant, black=unburnt gas. Chuck

Re-torque the intake manifold using the specified sequence. Blue=oil, white=coolant, black=unburnt gas. Chuck
I have heard horror stories about using synthetics in our engines.

mike
Mike, You used the right word. That's what they are, stories. I've never experienced or seen a failure caused by synthetic oil. If a gasket is broken and the only thing plugging the gap is "gunk", the synthetic oil will eventually clean out the gunk and oil will leak. Even in this case the oil didn't break the gasket. Chuck

After about one month? I'd be amazed if mine didn't express some dissatisfaction about being left idle for so long! As long as it went away, I'd say that's to be expected after prolonged disuse.

Back