Harmonic Balancer bolt 5/8" fine thread??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
Is that the bolt size. My puller's long bolt won't screw into where the large bolts was. Gonna have to buy one. Home depot and Lowes are a bust. Looked at both them.

Thanks in advance

You do not screw the puller bolt into the crank.

loosen but do not remove the crank bolt. The puller center bolt will rest on the head of the crank bolt and when you tighten it, it will pull the damper forward. When the damper won't move any further, back off the puller center bolt, remove a side bolt and pivot the puller out of the way and back the bolt out a little further. reinstall the puller and back it out some more and it should come cleanly off the crank.

Some people remove the bolt and drop a smaller bolt or even a piece of rod into the crank for the puller to puush against, but I prefer to use the bolt to protect my crankshafts threads.

loosen but do not remove the crank bolt. The puller center bolt will rest on the head of the crank bolt and when you tighten it, it will pull the damper forward. When the damper won't move any further, back off the puller center bolt, remove a side bolt and pivot the puller out of the way and back the bolt out a little further. reinstall the puller and back it out some more and it should come cleanly off the crank.

Some people remove the bolt and drop a smaller bolt or even a piece of rod into the crank for the puller to puush against, but I prefer to use the bolt to protect my crankshafts threads.
+1 He is telling the truth here

+1 He is telling the truth here
Ohhhhh. I'm such a dumbass sometimes. Went downstairs and looked. I had it figured wrong how the puller works. Glad I ask tons of questions or I'd be in big trouble.

::new::

LOL Why would I think it's the little bolts being tightened that pulled it out. Back on course Captain!! Oh and look there's a little insert that's flat that goes into the long bolt. I bet that fits nicely up against the original bolt. (palm to forehead)

Back