Has anyone heard of the FiTech PAC EFI unit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I read about this system, the more I like it.  They claim to use all GM OEM sensors and a Bosch O2 sensor.  I would be happier if the warranty was longer than 1 year.

I also wanted to know if this would work with a Mallory Unilite distributor I picked up, recently.
Basstrix, did you ever receive an answer concerning the Malory distributor? That's exactly what I have. Thanks.
I have had a Mallory Unilite distributor on engine for years with Jacobs coil and wiring and yes I just installed a FiTech EFI4 TB. So far during engine break in it has worked together flawlessly. This car is driver and is  not for drag racing.
Thanks for the reply, the Mallory is a three wire dizzy correct? Did you hook it up to the FiTech ignition control or run the dizzy without the FiTech timing control?

Looks like I'll be joining the FiTech crowd. Put in my order tonight.
Very nice!

Looks like I'll be joining the FiTech crowd. Put in my order tonight.
I am running w/o the ignition control. If your not racing don't know why you would need ignition control.

I am in the last steps of installing the FiTech. I had installed the water temp sensor in the port by the water pump, but after reading a little more it seems that I should be using the one by the thermostat where the gauge sender is installed. If I do so, then I have to move the gauge sender to the port by the water pump. Does this impact my gauge measurements? I don't know how the water circuit works inside this engine. Will it measure temperature only after the thermostat opens and not while the block is heating?

I did the same thing. The temp will show a little lower on the gauge but it is more important that the ECU gets the actual reading. The gauge will be a little past the first mark.

I did the same thing. The temp will show a little lower on the gauge but it is more important that the ECU gets the actual reading. The gauge will be a little past the first mark.
Yeah... i decided to swap the sender units after reading your post. Thanks.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Last night at midnight I finished hooking everything up. My plan was to start the car today for a test, but couldn't hold it. I followed FiTech instructions for priming (primed about five times) and setup, cranked the engine and it started right away. Very exciting! Run it for about 3 minutes - I had the garage door closed so I don't wake up the neighborhood. So far so good. Will try to test drive and tweak this weekend, but need to finish couple issues in the rear fender before I drive it. My installation is very neat with Russell fuel hoses/fittings and RobBMC PowerSurge pump. For now I am not controlling the timing with the EFI. Once I test drive and feel all is good I will write more details about my setup. I typically don't like to write all the details until all is tested.....

Edit: GoEFI 600 p/n 30002

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!! I am curious how that works out for you.  Are you going to let the ECU control timing later on?
The plan is to use the ECU to control timing once I have all under control. However, it will be a slow process. First I am planing to add CD ignition w/o control, and then I will add control. I will need a new distributor, like a Duraspark type. However, since this winter my plan is to take the motor out to stroke it, I may just wait until that's done so there will be less issues to deal with once I restart it next year.

Congrats!! I am curious how that works out for you.  Are you going to let the ECU control timing later on?
The plan is to use the ECU to control timing once I have all under control. However, it will be a slow process. First I am planing to add CD ignition w/o control, and then I will add control. I will need a new distributor, like a Duraspark type. However, since this winter my plan is to take the motor out to stroke it, I may just wait until that's done so there will be less issues to deal with once I restart it next year.
When you let the ECU control timing I have found that it smooth's out the motor considerably.  I have been running my EFI system for over 2 years now and am really happy with it.  Tuning the motor is really a snap now, no more changing jets, adjusting A/F etc.  Just punch what you want in the handheld and you are done.  You can also monitor your motor while driving to see what it is doing.

If they made a six pack system I would not hesitate changing over for my current project.

When you let the ECU control timing I have found that it smooth's out the motor considerably.  I have been running my EFI system for over 2 years now and am really happy with it.  Tuning the motor is really a snap now, no more changing jets, adjusting A/F etc.  Just punch what you want in the handheld and you are done.  You can also monitor your motor while driving to see what it is doing.

If they made a six pack system I would not hesitate changing over for my current project.
Wow.... there is an idea.... a six pack would look so cool. They have the dual quad but thats not as appealing as six pack.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Here are a few pictures of my install. I will post more details in my build thread. In essence I have a PowerSurge pump from RobBMC installed on the passenger rear side of the engine compartment (removed the charcoal canister). This pump is fed by the engine's mechanical pump. I have a return line to the tank returning via the top of the tank. Venting is now through the cap. I used Russell Pro Classic fuel hoses in the engine compartment. The location of the pump is very convenient since it minimized the length of the fuel hoses. I tried to hide all the wiring as much as possible. The only clues are the fuses, which I left on top of the shock tower bracing for easy access and convenience.

Today I drove for a few miles and is running great except for some bugging during acceleration. It has a lot of settings that I will have to play to fix that. However, the recommend to let it run on its own so it can learn from the system. It got better the more I use it. I love the LCD controller which allows you to see all the parameter while you drive. The location in the ashtray pocket is perfect.

RobBMC PowerSurge Pump:

Hard to tell there is an EFI system unless you really know what to look for, and except for the exposed fuse holders:

Without the filter base:

LCD screen in ashtray pocket:

Awesome install; the RobMC tank really is a great fueling solution; and the FiTech handheld sure is a lot nicer then the dated Fast 1.0 unit; the FiTech is really a slick setup!

50 miles on it and I love it. With temperatures in the mid 40s in the morning the car drives great after very little warm up. The huge difference so far is the driveability while cold - no hesitation at all. I am still tweaking some parameters to improve WOT acceleration and eliminate bugging.

Here are a few pictures of my install. I will post more details in my build thread. In essence I have a PowerSurge pump from RobBMC installed on the passenger rear side of the engine compartment (removed the charcoal canister). This pump is fed by the engine's mechanical pump. I have a return line to the tank returning via the top of the tank. Venting is now through the cap. I used Russell Pro Classic fuel hoses in the engine compartment. The location of the pump is very convenient since it minimized the length of the fuel hoses. I tried to hide all the wiring as much as possible. The only clues are the fuses, which I left on top of the shock tower bracing for easy access and convenience.

Today I drove for a few miles and is running great except for some bugging during acceleration. It has a lot of settings that I will have to play to fix that. However, the recommend to let it run on its own so it can learn from the system. It got better the more I use it. I love the LCD controller which allows you to see all the parameter while you drive. The location in the ashtray pocket is perfect.

RobBMC PowerSurge Pump:

Hard to tell there is an EFI system unless you really know what to look for, and except for the exposed fuse holders:

Without the filter base:

LCD screen in ashtray pocket:

Looks awesome you did a great job! Planning on going with the PowerSurge II too with my Holley Sniper setup  ::thumb::  Will install the pump in the same place as you did.

Looks awesome you did a great job! Planning on going with the PowerSurge II too with my Holley Sniper setup  ::thumb::  Will install the pump in the same place as you did.
Thanks. I think that location works great. Now, keep in mind that i have ceramic coated headers, but I still covered the bottom half of the pump's tank with heat shield and insulating spray. On top of that i added a heat shield to the header pipes that were near the tank. And to be even more on the safe side i covered the heater hoses that run through there. Maybe overkill, but it is inexpensive insurance. The last thing you want is for the gasoline to boil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I was just looking at this. Good info guys, please keep it coming.  I like the Fi Tech has the pump in the engine bay and uses the stock fuel pump to feed it, no messing with the fuel tank and lines.  Price seems good, especially since the canadian dollar is so low.
I noticed that you have the same car and running gear. what headers are you using? I need a set for 2bbl heads C6 and power steering.

Tom

Back