Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDK

Reaction score
My Car
1971 MACH 1
I've been looking for a set of long tube ceramic coated headers for my 71 MACH 1 351c 2v with PS/AC, C6. Cannot find a set that is made for the C6 and PS that does not require relocating the PS pump via a new bracket. Anyone know of either Flowtech, Hedman, Hooker, Doug's/Pertronix or any other brand that will work?

BDK

Ha i just pulled mine off yesterday! My car had a c6 and powersteering but they fit. I belive they are old school dynomax blackjacks. Send me a PM if your interested im willing to get rid of them!

Hooker 6921 should work. The power steering bracket discussion is for Falcon/Torino/Montego that did not change to the Saginaw steering box in 1971 like the Mustang did. Chuck

Thanks Chuck, just saw the Hooker 6921's after I posted the message. Appreciate the response. Turtle, what Hedman part number are you using on yours?

BDK

I have long tubes on my 4v Cleveland and hate them. They hang down do low, they scrape on everything. Has anyone found a nice shortie or mid-length header they like?

They are also full length and 2v

Think I'm going to go with the 6921's and see how they turn out....

BDK

I was originally going to go with the Hedmans, but the way my impulse buying has been going, I didn't want to wait the 2 months lead time for back-order. So, I went with the Hooker Competition ceramic-coated 6921s. Mine is also a 351C-2V, but I stuffed an AOD in behind it, which is very close to FMX dimensions.

What I did notice is that there were no fitment issues with the power steering system whatsoever; brackets, pump, hoses, or otherwise. So, I guess I'm having a hard time seeing where the power steering pump would be an issue. Now, the PS gearbox - that might be an issue, and I can honestly say there's no problem with that either (with the Hookers). So, I'm thinking if you can get by the C6 issue, you should be fine with the 6921s.

Make sure you order a set of collector adapters, since Hooker's pretty tightwad about such things (the Hedmans included everything). I got the HOK-11040HKR (Summit) (the black collectors pieces) to mate up to my Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust, and had to bend out the lead-pipes to match up the headers inward angle to the straightness of the exhaust. See below:

252362_457333127610944_28584412_n.jpg

Here's a straight-forward shot of how the headers fit in there beside the tranny (again, it's an AOD, not a C-6):

522794_453452127999044_1520165078_n.jpg

Hope that helps!

Eric,

That is awesome! you did a heck of a job on that install, everything looks so clean and tidy.....Hope mine comes out similar. The 6921 will work for the 351 2v and C6, confirmed that so they are what I will be going with. Will let everyone know how the fitment is.....

Thanks for the pics...sure helps....

BDK

Eric, The PS note from Hooker are in reference to PN 6913 for Torino/Montego that retained the old style PS ram cylinder that attaches to the steering center link on one end and the Left frame rail on the other end. The Bracket lowers the frame end attaching point to provide clearance for the headers. Chuck

Eric, The PS note from Hooker are in reference to PN 6913 for Torino/Montego that retained the old style PS ram cylinder that attaches to the steering center link on one end and the Left frame rail on the other end. The Bracket lowers the frame end attaching point to provide clearance for the headers. Chuck
Aha! Thanks for explaining that. ::beer::

Eric,

That is awesome! you did a heck of a job on that install, everything looks so clean and tidy.....Hope mine comes out similar. The 6921 will work for the 351 2v and C6, confirmed that so they are what I will be going with. Will let everyone know how the fitment is.....

BDK
Glad I could help! It looks so clean because everything's pretty much new - it's almost like putting together a full scale model kit. ;) :D

The driver side header collector is just close enough to the shifter cable, that I'm going to order a cable insulator from Summit and consider making some heat shields. The Passenger side collector is a little close to the starter, but not horribly so - again, considering making a heat shield for that side as well. I'll be taking temperature readings when I finally get this thing fired up and decide then, and of course I'll post up pics of whatever I come up with. ;)

Eric,

BDK
Glad I could help! It looks so clean because everything's pretty much new - it's almost like putting together a full scale model kit. ;) :D

The driver side header collector is just close enough to the shifter cable, that I'm going to order a cable insulator from Summit and consider making some heat shields. The Passenger side collector is a little close to the starter, but not horribly so - again, considering making a heat shield for that side as well. I'll be taking temperature readings when I finally get this thing fired up and decide then, and of course I'll post up pics of whatever I come up with. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 351C being built with Edelbrock alum. heads. They are 2v heads and I have a c6 trans. I can't seem to find a set of long tube headers that will fit with the C6. I'd like to get ceramic coated.

Can anybody help out here?

Back