Heat Extraction

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Inspired by another thread where heat extractors were mentioned, I hafta ask: how important is the cowl/firewall hood seal? I'm thinking that omitting this seal would provide for a TON of heat extraction.

Mine is currently not installed, and with no windshield just yet, I feel a ton of air blowing in my face just sitting there idling in the driveway (with the hood closed).

Other than sealing in the hot air around the engine, I can't see much if any real benefit, as any water that comes in from under the cowl will either flow into the cowl vents (and out the drains) or run down to the rail where the cowl/firewall meet. While driving, the monster 7-blade fan and other forced air should provide enough positive pressure to keep rain from getting sucked into the engine compartment as well (my theory, anyway). The Ram Air plenum is sealed, so there should be no worry of saturating the air filter.

What are your thoughts? I'm not opposed to installing it for the actual reasons Ford decided to go with it, but if leaving it off can help cool the beast without the need for cutting any holes for vents, installing more expensive ventilation aids, or otherwise, I'm all for it.

Heat will come out of it when the car is not moving. However, after you start moving the air flow over the hood and against the windshield creates a high pressure area at the cowl.

Makes sense, which is why cowl-induction works so well.

But I wonder if it would be enough high-pressure to overcome the forced air pressure from under the hood and reverse the air flow at speed.

Inspired by another thread where heat extractors were mentioned, I hafta ask: how important is the cowl/firewall hood seal? I'm thinking that omitting this seal would provide for a TON of heat extraction.

Mine is currently not installed, and with no windshield just yet, I feel a ton of air blowing in my face just sitting there idling in the driveway (with the hood closed).

Other than sealing in the hot air around the engine, I can't see much if any real benefit, as any water that comes in from under the cowl will either flow into the cowl vents (and out the drains) or run down to the rail where the cowl/firewall meet. While driving, the monster 7-blade fan and other forced air should provide enough positive pressure to keep rain from getting sucked into the engine compartment as well (my theory, anyway). The Ram Air plenum is sealed, so there should be no worry of saturating the air filter.

What are your thoughts? I'm not opposed to installing it for the actual reasons Ford decided to go with it, but if leaving it off can help cool the beast without the need for cutting any holes for vents, installing more expensive ventilation aids, or otherwise, I'm all for it.
Hood to cowl seal keeps engine fumes from getting into your cowl vents and into the cabin. I wouldn't remove it.

Hood to cowl seal keeps engine fumes from getting into your cowl vents and into the cabin. I wouldn't remove it.
A very good point - hadn't thought of that. ::thumb::

However, my cowl vents are now blocked off from the Classic Auto Air installation. It doesn't have a "fresh air supply." It just recirculates in-cab air. Basically, if I want fresh air in the cab, I will now need to open a window... which bummed me out when I discovered during the installation, because I loved the idea of the 'old school' fresh air cowl vents.

It also keeps oil mist and or anti freeze off the windshield

It also keeps oil mist and or anti freeze off the windshield
Oooh... yeah. Sold.

Well, bummer. So much for free heat extractor. Leave it to Don to kill off all my bright ideas with common sense. rofl

To add: all the engine stink will come right inside the car.

My seal is pretty flat/bad ad I do get fumes inside through the cowl. It's my understanding that the while purpose for that seal was to keep fumes from entering the cowl area.

The post about oil mist and antifreeze makes sense too.

Heat will come out of it when the car is not moving. However, after you start moving the air flow over the hood and against the windshield creates a high pressure area at the cowl.
Actually, that's a low pressure area, which is why air gets sucked into the engine compartment (or cowls) without the use of fans. Air flows from high to low pressure.

Back