Heat shield....I think!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowmach351

Reaction score
My Car
1971 yellow Mach 1 ram air 351c traction loc 4 speed. Ordered new from the factory in April 1971. 74,000 miles, in excellent condition. Going through complete engine rebuild only to increase horsepower, not because it needed it. Should bring 430 to 450 hp upon completion.
Anyone recognize this? I've had the car apart for about 2 years. Took a lot of pictures of wiring, etc. It's all beck together with no problems except for this. I just don't remember where this came from. Thought it was a starter heat shield, but there is nowhere for it to mount. [attachment=43013]Thanks for any help you can give.

2m2bdk3.jpg

That's kinda what I was thinking, too... but the canvas isn't right for that piece - that's for sure.

Any chance it has something to do with the seat release or seat belt buzzer... or maybe a folding rear seat? Is there a Ford P/N on it anywhere?

That is the drivers side motor mount heat shield. Bolts between the block and the motor mount. Keeps heat from the manifold from damaging the rubber mount.

20161103_183345.jpg

Strangely enough, Ford only listed a left side heat shield for the 351C in the Mustang/Cougar, Torino/Montego-Cyclone uni-body cars. There were none at all on either 71 "M" Mach1 I have. There are left and right sides listed for the 351C powered 72/ Torino/Montego full frame cars. There were left and right shields on my 72 429 Gran Torino, but none listed for the 71 429 Mustang.

Thanks everyone. 6972 boss is my hero. I remembered it came from down in that area ....one side or the other - like I mentioned was thinking starter heat shield. Now, we'll see how hard it will be to install it since everything is already bolted in and wired, ready to drive! I've got ceramic Hooker headers on it now, so I don't think that will create a problem..or... perhaps it won't be as necessary now if the headers give me a little more room. Thanks again.

Response to secluff, Mine is a 71 351c "M" code also. Was also wondering why there would only be one unless that side exhaust header ran so much closer than the other, to the mount.

Response to secluff, Mine is a 71 351c "M" code also. Was also wondering why there would only be one unless that side exhaust header ran so much closer than the other, to the mount.
yellowmach351, after taking a look at my 71 "M" I noticed that the left manifold is tucked in closely to the block and almost on top of the mount. With power steering lines, steering shaft and box, etc, and a few other things fighting for space, things are a little cramped in that under hood section. The right side manifold is further away from the block and the heater and AC hoses run above it so there are no interference issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your update. I appreciate it. I was underneath mine yesterday, and with the Hookers on, there is ample room, so it wouldn't be needed, but I'm putting it back on anyway because that's the way it came. I'll have to unbolt the mount and raise the engine just a bit to slide it in, but shouldn't be much of an issue. That makes sense. The shield was more than likely on all of those 351c's when they were built. I ordered mine without any power steering, air conditioning, etc., so there is nothing there to worry about.

BTW, finally figured out what happened. I knew I remembered seeing it, but couldn't correctly place where it was at. It was still on the engine when I took it to the engine shop to have new cam bearings, etc. replaced. After the block was cleaned, they put in new freeze plugs. There is a freeze plug right behind the motor mount, so they had to remove it to get the new plug in. They forgot to put the shield back on and just returned it in a box of parts....that I had to CALL on and tell them to find, when I came up missing a few important items!!!

Thanks everyone. 6972 boss is my hero. I remembered it came from down in that area ....one side or the other - like I mentioned was thinking starter heat shield. Now, we'll see how hard it will be to install it since everything is already bolted in and wired, ready to drive! I've got ceramic Hooker headers on it now, so I don't think that will create a problem..or... perhaps it won't be as necessary now if the headers give me a little more room. Thanks again.
Thank for the kind words:thankyouyellow: glad to help::thumb::

Latest posts

Back