Heater control valve removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I have a 302 that had non-functioning A/C with several major parts missing so I removed what was there and am going non-A/C now.

In the interest of cleaning up the engine compt, I am thing of removing the heater valve and just running new hoses to and from the engine and core without it. Good idea, or bad idea?

+1 on what Jeff said. I had the heater control valve that was stuck open. I got HOT inside the car, replaced it with a new one and works great now. Heat when I want it and no heat when I don't.

+1 on what Jeff said. I had the heater control valve that was stuck open. I got HOT inside the car, replaced it with a new one and works great now. Heat when I want it and no heat when I don't.
Thanks for both quick replies. I see that both of these valves are manual. I will just get a new vacuum operated one like I have now...thanks again......

This one works, but is not nice looking, and just kind of hangs on the hose. I will look for one that I can bolt in the engine compt instead of it just dangling on the hose.

Comment on an old thread............isn't this the way the cars without a/c are configured? I had a " no a/c " '66 several years ago and don't remember the car being uncomfortably warm. I realize that I have an original a/c equipped car, but all the a/c parts are removed, and with all the vacuum controlled pods still in the system, and also only one cowl vent opening, but I am wondering if leaving the valve out, and plugging the vacuum line would make the temp that oppressive?

Just a question??????????????:chin:

Comment on an old thread............isn't this the way the cars without a/c are configured? I had a " no a/c " '66 several years ago and don't remember the car being uncomfortably warm. I realize that I have an original a/c equipped car, but all the a/c parts are removed, and with all the vacuum controlled pods still in the system, and also only one cowl vent opening, but I am wondering if leaving the valve out, and plugging the vacuum line would make the temp that oppressive?

Just a question??????????????

Like I mentioned earlier. I have an A/C car but when my valve was stuck open it got very hot inside the car. Not blowing hot air but you could tell it was heating things up.

Like I mentioned earlier. I have an A/C car but when my valve was stuck open it got very hot inside the car. Not blowing hot air but you could tell it was heating things up.
Thanks for the quick reply................

I am guessing mostly because of only one cowl vent opening too?

I just literally got under my dash on my 71 non A/C Mach1.There is no vacuum valve or vacuum hose . There is only a solid wire from the heater control slide knob to what appears to be a mechanical on-off valve. I do not get any heat in the car with the heater control in the off position.

Referring to a previous post, heater hose connections, or something like that, I can conclude that hot water in will be on the opposite side of that valve if the hoses are connected the wrong way around. Looking at it from the engine bay, I believe the bottom left is IN, top right is OUT, but it will still work okay if it is the other way around.

Edit: I just found the heater control section in my 1971 manual, Volume 3, Electrical (of all places). I was wrong it appears. There is no mention of any sort of valve to control water flow, only air flow. The wire I referred to controls the "Temperature Blend Door" so I guess, when it's in the closed position, no heat is emitted into the car. This section make no reference to the hose connections or water flow. Sorry if I confused you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The valve shuts off coolant flow to the heater core when the lever is in the AC zones, otherwise the air never gets quite cold - from experience. Even with the compressor disconnected, it would be a smart idea to have that valve functional unless you like riding in a hot car.

Stanglover - non-AC cars don't have the valve.

Latest posts

Back