Heater Hose Hangers Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Need to know what kind of heater hose hangers go with my 71 Mach 351 C. right now they are held up with zip ties. Can anyone tell me what and where to get the right ones? Would like a pic if possible. I have found correct ones for older Mustangs but haven't been able to find any for the 71. Thanks

View attachment 37701

Don't believe there are any 'factory' heater hose supports. Typically they just let the hoses lay along the valve cover. Before they started using electric chokes, one of the hoses would rest in a U-clamp against the choke cover, as the hose warmed up, it would heat the cover and the internal spring would expand to move the linkage holding the carb's choke plate open.

Seen many variations on the zip tie approach as you have.

Don't believe there are any 'factory' heater hose supports.  Typically they just let the hoses lay along the valve cover.   Before they started using electric chokes, one of the hoses would rest in a U-clamp against the choke cover, as the hose warmed up, it would heat the cover and the internal spring would expand to move the linkage holding the carb's choke plate open.

Seen many variations on the zip tie approach as you have.
Very interesting.

Here's what I did with my heater hoses. I bought part #383207-SK from NPD, but I have seen them on the "help" rack as well. The brace has 2 holes that I suspect are there for this very purpose, if not they work very well. The retainers are about 1" diam. and you may need to trim off the tabs just below the clips if you get my meaning. If not I'll confirm.

Here's what I did with my heater hoses. I bought part #383207-SK from NPD, but I have seen them on the "help" rack as well. The brace has 2 holes that I suspect are there for this very purpose, if not they work very well. The retainers are about 1" diam. and you may need to trim off the tabs just below the clips if you get my meaning. If not I'll confirm.

The holes are actually for the wire that services items such as a P-Top on a convertible, P/W option etc. It terminates on the battery side of the starter solenoid. In absence of these options on your car, could be used for other purposes such as shown here.

The holes are actually for the wire that services items such as a P-Top on a convertible, P/W option etc. It terminates on the battery side of the starter solenoid. In absence of these options on your car, could be used for other purposes such as shown here.
I did say "if not, they work very well" and yes, it worked for me on my car. An unused hole can be a waste!! Our friend is looking for an alternative to crap zip ties. This solution works and keeps things neat.

I did say "if not, they work very well" and yes, it worked for me on my car. An unused hole can be a waste!! Our friend is looking for an alternative to crap zip ties. This solution works and keeps things neat.

I simply answered your query regarding what the holes were for from the factory. Your welcome.

I simply answered your query regarding what the holes were for from the factory. Your welcome.
 Ok point taken. Enough said.

Great Idea. Thanks!

NICE!! I have a couple of wiring looms running under my export braces secured with zip-ties.  This will go a long way to cleaning that mess up - especially when I have to run everything for the fuel injection in the near future.

:thankyouyellow:

https://ibb.co/niE11F[/URL]

Great Idea. Thanks!

Jason. Glad this option might work for you. I'm attaching a different picture that shows how
 my hoses are routed. As I use the factory air cleaner and heat riser tube, the rear hose off the block is behind the riser and the hose off the pump is in front. Bit of a pita to install the a/c and riser, but it looks ok to me. As I do not have A/C, there is no heat control valve, so apparently it does not matter which way the hot water flows through the heater core. I asked this question before, but got no definitive answer, so it works and that's all I'm concerned with. If you do have A/C, you might want to recheck flow direction and route accordingly. I also bought the correct hose clamps as I HATE those ugly looking gear clamps.

IMG_0629.jpg

https://imgbb.com/image hosting

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

I found these 1" clips at the local "You want it-- I got it" store ( Last two they had for now) and they work better than the NPD ones. They clip together far better and don't come apart. I switched to these today. These did need a bit of trimming at the base of the bayonet thingy. Hope you can find them!!. If not I may be able to ask the manager where he gets them from. PM me if necessary.

Back